The automatic mirror folding is backwards

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wjsi327

If your car has the Comfort Access option, the outside mirrors automatically fold out every time the car is unlocked, even though there may be a reason not to do that. For instance, your car may be parked in a garage with close quarters on the passenger side, or somewhere with an obstacle that the mirror could hit. It would be better to keep the mirrors folded in until the driver chooses to unfold them manually, or allow the automatic unfolding that happens once at road speed.

On the other hand, automatically folding the mirrors in every time the car is locked would be more desirable than having to stand pressing the door handle until the mirrors decided to fold in. So why not reverse the logic for when the mirrors fold in or out?

Your parking situation is exactly like ours. I have coded the mirrors to fold when locking the doors via Comfort Access. I have set the folding delay to 0 seconds so that I don't have to hold my touch of the door handle too long, but even with a 0 second folding delay, I still have to hold my touch for slightly longer than is necessary to lock the doors.

I have not coded the mirrors to unfold when the doors are unlocked. I have reduced the speed at which the mirrors unfold automatically to 6 kph (~4 mph).

As I'm preparing to park between 2 columns (tight fit), I manually fold the mirrors.

These changes work well for me.

Back