Make REX engine an installable module

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Srivenkat

Since the REX engine is a component of a "serial" hybrid, making the REX engine available as a dealer-installable upgrade/option would be beneficial for the following reasons:

1. Environmentally beneficial:
(a) Many inbuilt-REX purchasers may use it only occassionally, if at all. So, lugging around ~300 lbs at all other times isn't good for the environment, along with construction costs and minimum maintenance required for the REX engine.
(b) Many current ICE owners who balk at the idea of EVs might reconsider if they are assured that an ICE can be added by the dealership, as their range/flexibility needs change.

2. This would go well with the modular concept that has been used with the i3 design. Along with battery upgrades, one won't be boxed in with the initial range/inflexibility of the car.

I would like to broaden this design approach (2) and ask if BMW would plan to make
a second battery pack that will fit into a charger’s form factor. There are many REX
owners that would agree to drop off the gasoline charger and replace it with an extra
40-50 mile range battery, if the price for it would be justified.
Supposedly, there is a way to make second battery being controlled
with the same hardware and wire harnesses by creating cable extensions and
other minor changes. Personally, I would trade in my gas charger and pay extra
to get this “electric only range extender”. Also it could be just an “emergency” battery
that will switch on after main battery is depleted.

I have recently seen a report where someone made a battery trailer to hookup the car to, for long distance travel. Not sure why this isn't happening on a large scale, for long distance travel, where trailers with batteries (or Gas generators) can be rented out and swapped out for those that have been recharged.

In my humble opinion, i3 has pretty nice outside look, (except second door curve) and I would not spoil it with a trailer behind my car ;)
Secondary, driving REX with gas charger cranking has slower car performance and a bit of noise from a charger.
That is why I was thinking about second battery range extender. I do not see people installing and uninstalling 300 lb gas charger for a few trips per year. But maybe..

Back