Make REX start optional .

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanisLupus

For occasions when a charge station can be reached using part of the last 6% of Battery , I would like to have the option to not start the REX . Different scenarios arise for this . Range miscalculations , a busy or out of order charge station are 2 to mention . It could be put in the 'Menu' under settings (I suggest) .

WHen the battery gets that low, you'll have some issues that many consider a safety concern. Given that, I doubt it will happen. For example, the car will incrementally start to shut down functions, and as the charge gets lower, you'll lose performance, which many have complained about if they're on the freeway, and suddenly, the car won't go over say 40mph anymore. If the level gets much lower, and is left in a cold environment, you can get some damage to the batteries if it sits long enough. Given that the estimate is not perfect, it could drop considerably to a point where you're stuck.

As I mentioned , it would be for occasions when enroute to a charger that you know can be reached using a part of the final 6% of battery . The battery would not be left in a low charge state . I would use the option if only city driving was involved , NOT highway speeds . Perhaps some BEV drivers have gone through this scenario when just making it to a charger . I wonder if coding can set the REX kick-in to lower than 6% .

CanisLupus said:
As I mentioned , it would be for occasions when enroute to a charger that you know can be reached using a part of the final 6% of battery . The battery would not be left in a low charge state . I would use the option if only city driving was involved , NOT highway speeds . Perhaps some BEV drivers have gone through this scenario when just making it to a charger . I wonder if coding can set the REX kick-in to lower than 6% .

Yes, you can code it down to as low as 3%, IIRC...

The problem is, at least as I see it, given an option, some people will use it that don't understand its implications. With the US liability laws, I don't see this happening.

Seems like a reasonable request that wouldn't be hard for BMW to fulfill. a BEV will let you drive down to 0 miles range, no reason a rex could not. The person who paid for the car should get some say in the matter. Sometimes they are not idiots and they happen to know more about where that car is going, than the car does! (downhill to a charger, for instance)

Back