Intelligent geo-location for home charging

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark1

Something I thought of while the dealer was demonstrating the charge tariff setting in iDrive that allows the car to charge at off-peak times, for instance after midnight if you have Economy7 at home...

It would be good if the car knew it was at home via the GPS, and could be programmed to automatically set the charge times to off-peak accordingly, and then charge on demand while in other places such as at work or in a public car park, thereby preventing you from "forgetting" to reset the charge time to "now" and returning to an uncharged car that is still waiting for off-peak power.

And BMW - while you're at it, a further iDrive update that allows the driver to set the threshold at which the REx starts to automatically hold charge, instead of having to select it manually or wait until the battery is too low.

Yes - I've programmed No 8 of the "favourites" buttons to engage the REx at any time (providing you're under 80% charge of course).

I works fine - but I was always straining to hear whether it was working.

Today I discovered there's a little white arrow which appears above the remaining charge indicator bars - to show the charge point at which you have selected the REx.

There's also a smaller grey arrow at about 5% charge which presumably shows the level where the REx will engage automatically.

MikeS said:
I think you can set one of the buttons to select the Rex so then its just one press.
Yes but you have to keep an eye on the SoC and watch for it to drop below the threshold and then manually turn it on. I know that's not exactly difficult but it'd be useful if you could pre-program it before you set off to tell it to do that automatically.

I like both of mark1's suggestions. A couple of good ideas IMO.

Geo location is so easy to implement, it's all software. It should know when I'm home I want to charge at night, and when I'm not I want high power charge right now.

Boatguy said:
Geo location is so easy to implement, it's all software. It should know when I'm home I want to charge at night, and when I'm not I want high power charge right now.

Absolutely what I was saying. I really hope somebody in Munich is reading this and thinks about putting this feature in a future software update.

Back