Charging

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave

I think this whole business of having to set a departure time before you can have the vehicle automatically charge at the time you want it is complicated and it leads to the vehicle not charging on Some occassions.

BMW...... Please please please change the software so that if I want to charge my car each day at the same time I don't have to set a departure time. The departure time fuction is a good thing but it complicates things for the person who does not worry about pre heating or cooling of the car before they use it.

You are over thinking the departure time charging function. It is really simple, you want to have the car fully charged to go somewhere at say 10 am the next day. So just set it, and plug the car in as soon as you get home and it will start charging at the correct time to be ready for you at 10 am the next day. What so hard about that. Don't worry about pre-heat or not, the car will take care of it for you. Your other choice is equally as simple, plug it in when you get home, no set time, just let it start charging right away and it will be ready for you anytime after the charge completes. If necessary to do a emergency trip, just stop the charge, unplug the charging cable and go with a partial charge. It really is easy.

mindmachine said:
You are over thinking the departure time charging function. It is really simple, you want to have the car fully charged to go somewhere at say 10 am the next day. So just set it, and plug the car in as soon as you get home and it will start charging at the correct time to be ready for you at 10 am the next day. What so hard about that. Don't worry about pre-heat or not, the car will take care of it for you. Your other choice is equally as simple, plug it in when you get home, no set time, just let it start charging right away and it will be ready for you anytime after the charge completes. If necessary to do a emergency trip, just stop the charge, unplug the charging cable and go with a partial charge. It really is easy.

I agree with Dave but I have a special reason to. I want to be able to leave my car plugged in and not take a charge so that, when I'm at work the next day and my solar PV is making plenty of surplus, I want to initiate car charging remotely from the app. But the car's brain can force a charge even when not in the charge window because its below a certain SOC for example or because of some other (currently) opaque rules which probably includes departure time.

Bill

Back