Speed Limit indication

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrancisJeffries

On my Merc, the map display (optionally) shows the instantaneous speed limit at all times. It's amazingly accurate, too, changing as we move between limits almost exactly as we pass the signs.
It's a REALLY useful feature, so why not have it on the i3?

FrancisJeffries said:
It is available if you spec the Driving Assistant Plus option. It uses the camera in the rear view mirror housing to read the traffic signs and is very accurate.

bmw-i3-instrument-panel.jpg

Plug said:
FrancisJeffries said:
It is available if you spec the Driving Assistant Plus option. It uses the camera in the rear view mirror housing to read the traffic signs and is very accurate.
I have specified that option, but notice that speed limit signs are often obscured and lorries' speed limit signs are said to confuse the camera-based system sometimes.
The Merc's system uses its GPS to decide when the limits change. That's the good news. But the bad news is that limits change after the firmware did, so sometimes they are wrong!

The i3 must use a combination of the two because it will update when there is no sign to read from. It'll also update if you go through temporary roadworks (from the signs). Can't say I've seen it displaying incorrect speeds from the signs on lorries, it's an accurate system IMO.

Back