License SuperCharger

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SuperCharger costs 28 cents per Kilowatt-hour, then 50 cents to a dollar *PER MINUTE* you keep using the spot after your charge is done.

CCS chargers (near me anyway, according to PlugShare) cost from $7 flat charge (to charge up a 40 kWh battery to 80% on SuperCharger is $9.00) to $5/hour (80% of a 40 kWh battery would take half an hour, so $2.50) to $5.95 plus 20 cents a minute (at 60 kW charging speed, you could fill 80% of 40 kWh in about half an hour, costing $6.40.) I know of no CCS chargers that charge an idle fee anywhere near as much as Tesla. (At most, they continue to charge their per-minute-charging fee, but most stop that once your car reaches 100%.)

And I have to imagine Tesla would increase the price if third parties started using it.

I don't find CCS too expensive, but it the pricing do vary alot.

The only 2 I use are EVgo and Electrify America.

I know EVgo can vary 10 to 15 cents a minute depending on the state. And near me there is not an initial connection fee.

EA is typically higher and I don't know how it works in other places, but they are haphazardly rolling out in my State. They don't have membership accounts and have self use POSs(like a gas station). On a few road trips I've had either cards put on temporary suspensions from only charging a couple bucks each stop or EA put quite large temporary charges on cards( $100+ charges). Next road I'm going to attempt just using SamsungPay or GooglePay; and see if that solves my current complaints with them. But I really wish they would activate a RFid membership system.

In the EU/UK the Model 3 is CCS combo 2. That is the same connector as the EU/UK i3 with DC prep.

Model 3 can use other CCS chargers but only the Model 3 can use Tesla CCS. Tesla have offered to open up the network to other manufactures. They've even been in talks with at least one UK based manufacturer. (Probably Aston Martin) So far no-one has taken them up on it. Tesla must be asking too much money for the license fees.

Supercharging is 27p / kWh. That is in the general range of what I pay for CCS, depending on the network:

Ecotricity 15p/kWh
Shell Recharge 25p / kWh
Instavolt 35p / kWh

As Tesla sells more cars, letting others use their charging network might negatively impact their owners experience. Anything's possible, but I'm not counting on it. FWIW, they are generally spaced for Tesla range rather than something like the i3's. Plus, at least those sold in the USA, being limited to 50Kw/hr would mean they would stay on one possibly longer than a Tesla, depending on the battery pack in the Tesla...making their wait time on a busy station maybe worse.

The real answer, IMHO, is to get some more support from the government to make them easier to install. Car manufacturers are spending some money on this, but until the demand increases, it's the chicken or the egg controversy...do you add charging stations to boost demand for cars, or do we have to have more cars, and thus demand, to then build more charging stations. Private industry won't do it unless they see an advantage to their bottom line, but government can have an effect by adjusting the costs as an incentive. Some is out there, more is probably needed. The end results of the VW law suit will take another couple of years to be fully implemented, and that will help along with other manufacturers stepping up to the plate to make their vehicles more desirable. Still, the vast majority of people charge at home. IMHO, there's still a place for an ICE, but the window is getting smaller. A good hybrid will likely be my next vehicle.

Back