vreihen

Kia Niro EV

Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:03 am

In case anyone is researching a new vehicle purchase, my DW just took delivery last night of the first Kia Niro EV sold by our local dealership. I am having a mental block thinking that a Kia is worth Tesla Model 3 money, but it seems to be built solid and has most of the same features as the newer i3's (including programmed departure time, Apple CarPlay, and Android Auto). Don't know if it will let you program multiple departure times yet.

Anyway, feel free to ask any questions if you are considering the Niro as an additional EV in your stable.....
2015 BMW i3 BEV, Giga World, Tech and Driving Assistant packages, 15K miles

vreihen

Re: Kia Niro EV

Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:22 am

After a week of ownership, I can't pry the Niro key fob out of my DW's hands. If my new OpenEVSE's measurements are accurate, it is costing her $3.84/day in electricity compared with a claimed $20.00 in gasoline with her old vehicle.

The one thing that has me slightly worried is Kia's apparent lack of battery management at the end of a charging cycle:

The light blue line is my i3. Notice how it tapers down the draw as it approaches full? (Also note the shape of the spike around 7:30 AM at my programmed departure time.) The other two lines are the Niro, and it seems like it just cuts the power with no taper at all. I have no idea how this will impact battery longevity, but suspect that BMW tapered the draw down for a reason and Kia may have missed the rationale.

FWIW, I have the OpenEVSE limited to 16A right now, until I can pull a proper 50A circuit out to the garage in place of the 20A welder outlet that I'm using for charging now.....

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t

Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:25 am

The Niro seems awesome. I can't wait until it's cheap enough on the used market to buy (I don't buy new cars; call me a sucker for appreciating assets). Thanks for these updates.

But what is a DW? I assume your spouse, but I don't understand the abbreviation.

vreihen

Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:48 am

DW is a common abbreviation for either darling wife, or darn wife on occasion.....

bwilson4web

Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:15 pm

vreihen wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:22 am
. . .

The one thing that has me slightly worried is Kia's apparent lack of battery management at the end of a charging cycle:

. . . The other two lines are the Niro, and it seems like it just cuts the power with no taper at all. . . .
I've seen speculation that an over-sized battery could be managed that way. It might also be worth while to look at battery temperatures.

Our Model 3 and BMW i3 both exhibit a charge taper but they also turn on the AC to moderate the battery temperature.

BTW, the limited availability means it won't be in the SouthEast anytime soon.

Bob Wilson
20k/27k mi 2014 BMW i3-REx
10k/10k mi 2017 Prius Prime

Return to “Other Electric Vehicles”