From one funky EV (i3) to another (Arcimoto FUV)

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharonPDX

Added a second EV to my driveway - the brand new Arcimoto FUV:

hARvFZj.jpg

It's an enclosed electric trike that can go 75 MPH, and go up to 100 miles on a charge. Made in Eugene, Oregon, it's been under development for about a decade, and finally reached full production last month - mine is #11 off the assembly line.

I assume that it's street-legal in the USA as a motorcycle?

Are there helmet locks inside? At least in NY State, *any* motorcycle requires a Class M license and all riders/passengers to wear DOT-approved helmets.....

Interesting concept. Bit Pricey - I only payed $2K more for a 3 year old i3 with 9,600 mile on it.

vreihen said:
I assume that it's street-legal in the USA as a motorcycle?

Are there helmet locks inside? At least in NY State, *any* motorcycle requires a Class M license and all riders/passengers to wear DOT-approved helmets.....

Helmet locks? The guy who stole my Honda scooter left the helmet.

Because of its oddball nature - roll cage, trike - there are a patchwork of laws applying to it.

In my home state, no motorcycle endorsement, no helmet. The state that is a 10 mile drive from my house? Need both. The manufacturer is working with lawmakers to try to get helmet and motorcycle endorsement requirements lifted for it nationwide.

No helmet locks, but it does have a locking trunk on the back that could easily hold two helmets (or a couple bags of groceries, or an airline carryon-size bag.)

They claim the F stands for "Fun"

CharonPDX said:
They claim the F stands for "Fun"

That would have been my guess, since I don't think it's big enough for the other thing.

BTW, are there snap-on windows or "isinglass curtains you can roll right down" or anything? I see it has a windshield wiper, but that could be pretty miserable in rain or snow.

robthebold said:
That would have been my guess, since I don't think it's big enough for the other thing.

Try going head-on with a Greyhound bus or tractor-trailer while driving one of these things. The versatile F-word can be used for at least 9 different parts of speech, and more than one surely applies to the FUV..... :lol:

vreihen said:
robthebold said:

Try going head-on with a Greyhound bus or tractor-trailer while driving one of these things. The versatile F-word can be used for at least 9 different parts of speech, and more than one surely applies to the FUV..... :lol:

That's true of a large portion of vehicles on the road, though. It's meant to be "safer and easier than a motorcycle", not "as safe as driving an Excursion.

Hell, this is a BMW i3 forum - try going head-on with a bus or tractor-trailer at highway speeds in an i3 and see how that works out.

robthebold said:
BTW, are there snap-on windows or "isinglass curtains you can roll right down" or anything? I see it has a windshield wiper, but that could be pretty miserable in rain or snow.

Not yet - but they are in the works. Driving in the rain this last week, you stay dry when moving, but stopped, any breeze carries the rain on to your arms and legs.

Back