Electric cars suffer worst depreciation

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaz26

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/green-motoring/10478975/Electric-cars-suffer-worst-depreciation.html

Gaz, now that you've cancelled your i3 order what is your motivation for posting nothing but negative links & comments ?

I don't think anyone expects EVs to have better than average residuals but that article seems misleading

"The figures don't take into account the Government's plug-in car grant of up to £5,000 towards the price of an electric car, or any discounts on list prices..."

so that's about 20% right off the bat which is being included in the depreciation figures.

Also, how many 3 year old EV models are there ? That rules out all the main ones and just leaves you looking at the G-Whiz, Renault Fluence, Tesla roadster ?

Plug said:
Gaz, now that you've cancelled your i3 order what is your motivation for posting nothing but negative links & comments ?

In a democracy there is nothing wrong with lots of different views or have I missed something?! I will probably return to buying a second hand one in 12 months just think they are highly overpriced at present.

gaz26 said:
Plug said:

In a democracy there is nothing wrong with lots of different views or have I missed something?!

No problem with different views, you just seem to be on a bit of a campaign (here and elsewhere) and I just wondered why you are doing it, that's all.

The importance of electric vehicles are rapidly increases, as due to fuel price hike people were loves to take the advantage of electric vehicle. But in reality it serves a poor quality of service to the people whom are expecting some more from this.

Well that Telegraph article is pretty much rocket science, isn't it?

3 year old electric cars in November 2013. So what EV's could you buy in November 2010, and are they as viable now compared to the current offerings? Of course not. EV's are a new and building market in terms of capability of the vehicles and market acceptance. If you bought an EV 3 years ago, you were an early adopter and rapid change goes along with rapid depreciation.

Risky business being an early adopter, but I take my hat off to anyone who did it. They showed the car companies that there is a market and the i3 along with the other upcoming EV's are the result of that.

If the i3 is selling for 20% secondhand in three years I'll be lining up to buy a few for christmas presents. lol.

gaz26 said:
I will probably return to buying a second hand one in 12 months just think they are highly overpriced at present.
I've seen a couple of articles (can't remember which ones off the top of my head) where the reviewer has stated the i3 is a steal at £30k.

It's not just about it being an BEV. Think about it, it's:

• The most economical (ie. KWh/100km) yet.
    Made from a carbon fibre composite - the only other cars I know of which are made from that are 3x the price.
    Made from sustainable, recycled materials.
    Production process is a closed loop - completely sustainable, low amount of carbon emissions.
    Does 0-62 in 7.2 seconds :mrgreen:

Apart from that, in the UK, vs. the base model Nissan Leaf the price difference is just £4,700 (i3: £30.7k - £5k grant, Leaf: £21k inc. grant). What you've basically said is that you'd rather have a Nissan Note than a BMW 1 series ;)

http://www.motornature.com/2013/10/the-bmw-i3-will-have-the-best-residual-value-of-all-electric-cars/

The i3 isn't here to be another EV sheep, it's here to move the game on.

Back