Testing Ioniq hybrid (blue)

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwilson4web

On Friday, an Ioniq Blue (high efficiency) showed up at the local dealer and we took it for a short test drive, 15 miles to 24 miles. My impressions:
  • noisy - both tire and engine noise were more than either our BMW i3-REx or 2017 Prius Prime Plus
  • stepped transmission - some people detest the eCVT of the Prius or the lack of gears in an EV. In contrast, I found stepped transmissions 'retro' and not fun at all.
  • warm-up - typically takes 2-3 miles like a regular Prius hybrid and then it becomes a +50 MPG car.
  • brake anomaly - it could have been the paper liner on the floor board but there was one delayed and 'hinky' brake event that was not repeated. Emergency braking was ordinary.
  • reasonable pickup - nothing like our BMW i3-REx but OK for that class of car.
Since it does not come with dynamic cruise control and collision avoidance, I have no interest.

Bob Wilson

I’m waiting to try the Ionic electric as I have no interest in the hybrid. The electric has Lane Departure Warning System with Lane Keep Assist, Blind Spot Detection, Autonomous Emergency Braking and Smart Cruise Control which is plenty of wizardry for me! Acquaintances of mine have one and they are really pleased with it. Also given that I could buy on on these with all the bells and whistles they offer inc leather seats and electric seats for less than £30k in UK with a 5 year warranty then I could buy one and throw it away at the end for no more that the i3 cost!

Back