VW XL1 and Rex Up

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parker

Whilst technically interesting the XL1 won’t be of much real interest to normal human beings .... a limited run of 50 and a price tag muted to be £80k ($120k) sees to that .....the high price is mainly (VW says) because the XL1 is made of carbon fibre....... (let’s hope BMW does't think likewise!)

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/volkswagen-confirms-261-mpg-xl1-for-production-photo-gallery-55451.html

........... however interestingly VW have announce that the battery pack and range extender engine from the XL1 will make an appearance in the ”UP” (stupid name). Bizarrely the figures quoted for the REX UP are identical to the XL1 which can’t be right ..... but with a battery range of 30 miles, a super frugal 2 cylinder diesel engine in a small light 4 seater well over 100mpg should be on the cards ....... if it was £10k under a BMW i3 I would seriously consider it........ anyone else?

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/volkswagen-up-08-liter-hybrid-announced-55498.html

As I see it anything with a battery under 16 kwh is a waste here in the US. For example, the Volt 16 kwh gets a $7,500 Federal tax credit, the 4 kwh PIP $2,500. The formula for the credit is "straightlined" for battery capacity in between. So over 4 kwh the gov't will pay you $417/kwh, which, based on the Tesla, is almost the retail cost of the battery. Long story short if the government is going to buy you a battery up to 16 kwh, I'll take the 16 kwh every time.

That said, the Volt is the only hybrid EV w/16 kwh and at $40k MSRP before any credits it just isn't compelling when I can buy a Chevy Cruze (more or less the same car) w/discounts at $14,000. I suspect once the tax credits go away (the states undoubtedly will keep theirs) something like the UP would work for a lot of people. Many of my neighbors are "soccer moms" and must make 7 or more unique short trips every day. I big light bulb should go off because they could plug in between errands and use next to no gasoline (16 cents/mile) and instead use cheap electricity (4 cents/mile). If you are an errand-warrior why buy a pure EV at 30 kwh or so when 4 kwh will get you 90% or so EV miles and 10% gasoline?

I realize people aren't necessarily buying EVs based on a cradle-to-grave economic analysis, but a no-brainer would be to create an economic value proposition which in turn would lead to a greater penetration rate of EVs. The Leaf is down to $19k here net of Fed and state credits so I suspect it is a better economic choice for many people vs. a Versa.

I'm sure every maker is very calculating in placing their EV bets, but throwing mud at the wall and seeing what sticks (a pure EV may work for some, i3 at 22 kw w/REX for others, and the UP/Volt for yet others) works for me. PS: Love the diesel idea of the UP.

Blimey ..... that sounds very complicated.

We just get a flat £5000 off any electric or Plug-in Hybrid (at point of sale) and 75% off the home charger cost. The only "car" that doesn't get the grant is the Renault Twizy - and that’s because its not classed as a car in the UK.

I not sure anyone I know that’s bought an EV or Plug-in bought it to save money over an ICE - even with petrol at $9.70 a gallon here its debatable if any of these cars are actually cheaper cradle to grave than their ICE equivalent..... however fuel prices (for us) are only going one way, so hopefully over the life of the car I'm sure we will come out on top ... but who knows the elephant in my room is the cost of replacement batteries.... so cars like the Rex Up and the Audi eTron with their smaller battery packs are a little less scary as a long term proposition. It will be interesting to compare the (final -end user) costs between the BMW i3 , Audi A3 eTron and the VW Up.

One thing I do know is the next 18 months are going to be very interesting.

Shame the XL1 will only be seen in museums or locked away in Jay lenos garage.

Not exactly a People's Car Volkswagen!

If BMW can build a CF car for under £30k why not VW?

As for ECO two seaters : The Honda Insight MK1 sold well in USA and OK in EU.

XL1 was very close in concept to the Loremo 30,000 Euro concept that somehow has been left to die in a ditch......

Back