Enabling an EVSE through a PayPal donation?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RzR

Has anyone tried a setup where an EVSE would be enabled (turned on) after a PayPal transaction was completed?

Ideally, the way it would function is:
1. A user would scan a barcode on the EVSE with their smartphone.
2. The barcode brings up a link to make a PayPal payment or donation.
3. Once the PayPal transaction was completed, a signal would be sent to the EVSE (maybe a JuiceBox Pro 40?) to start charging.
4. After a predetermined period of time a signal would be sent to the EVSE to stop charging.

Alternatively:
1. A user would scan a barcode on the EVSE with their smartphone.
2. The barcode brings up a link to make a PayPal payment or donation.
3. Once the PayPal transaction was completed, a signal would be sent to a smart switch (maybe Insteon 2453-222?) which engages a 50A contactor (maybe Baomain CJX2-3210?) to enable power to the EVSE (maybe a JuiceBox 40?) to start charging.
4. After a predetermined period of time a signal would be sent to the smart switch to open the contactor and stop charging.

When the charging station owner needs to use it, they could enable the EVSE or the smart switch through their WiFi network.

My application idea is to provide a relatively low-cost way for charitable organizations to collect donations from the use of their charging station. I'm thinking some combination of ITTT to process the signals based on PayPal confirmations.

So, is this a feasible or crazy idea? What are your thoughts?
- RzR

OpenEVSE can be controlled remotely, the only hardware modification needed would be removal of the front panel switch. However you will need to write the code to process Paypal.

I'm not so keen on modifying any hardware in order to do this, especially since there are potentially hundreds if not thousands of places where this idea may be beneficial.

I specifically mentioned the JuiceBox Pro 40 because the design is relatively tamper-resistant and there is an API that could be used to control the JuiceBox (see https://emotorwerks.com/about/technology).

I'm somewhat surprised there have not been other responses yet.

RzR said:
I'm somewhat surprised there have not been other responses yet.

I just bought a used 2015 BMW i3 and I joined this forum. if you want exposure to more EV owners.. and I know it's late and you've probably already done this.. the Leaf forum has a lot more users on it. I'd try there.

Back