WARNING! Don't do this, locked keys in i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsmith

Opened the frunk to get charging cable out and put keys down here...

2014%2B-%2B1

What was I thinking!! Shut bonnet and..... arrgh! Keys are still in frunk area?
How do I get it open?
Car unlocked but no way of opening the bonnet, with now inaccessible key (I don't have the in-cabin buttons).

Luckily I was at home, so second key was to hand, lesson learned with no damage or inconvenience.
However if I'd been in a remote carpark / motorway service station it would have been bad times.

SO don't be a pudding head like me, keep those keys in your pocket!

If the car is unlocked you can open the frunk/bonnet manually. Open the cover on the near-side door jamb and you'll find a cable in there. Pull.

It's in the manual

BrianStanier said:
It's in the manual
Yep, just look under 'P' in the index for Pudding Heads :lol: (I've been reading that section regularly myself).

Something to be said for the comfort access option...I pretty much never take the fob out of my pocket.

Off topic, it appears that all of the i3s sold in the UK come with factory locking bolts on the wheels. BMWUSA doesn't even show them as an option. Does anyone know what size bolts the i3 uses? I guess I may have to take one of mine off. IF I do, anyone know what the specified torque on it is?

jadnashuanh said:
Something to be said for the comfort access option...I pretty much never take the fob out of my pocket.

Off topic, it appears that all of the i3s sold in the UK come with factory locking bolts on the wheels. BMWUSA doesn't even show them as an option. Does anyone know what size bolts the i3 uses? I guess I may have to take one of mine off. IF I do, anyone know what the specified torque on it is?
Why worry about it. What do you think someone would do with an i3 wheel? I don't see them as very desirable honestly

Thanks for the advice, found the release cable for the frunk and gave it a go, works!

For UK drivers it is actually on the passenger side of the car, cover clips of really easily and wire loop is tucked in the hole.

Comfort opening is the one option I think I should have got now, however it's not that bad once you unlock.
Made use of the CCS high-speed charger the other day and it worked great, thanks Ecotricity. SO glad I ticked that box as it really opens up journey options.

Back