rapid charge retrofit?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mindmachine said:
noakey said:
Hi.. does anyone know if rapid charge can be retrofitted?

Thank you...

I read somewhere this was ask before and the answer was NO. If I remember where I will post a link.

Hmmm I remember too but I think it was only a 'think'. If Rapid charging went wrong, then something would need to be replaced, so I assume you can get to all the bits. I guess 'No' is an easy answer for the moment until everything is really ramped up.

Am really enjoying our i3. I commute 64 miles to work, and 64 back, with charging near work.

noakey said:
mindmachine said:
noakey said:

Thank you...

I read somewhere this was ask before and the answer was NO. If I remember where I will post a link.

Hmmm I remember too but I think it was only a 'think'. If Rapid charging went wrong, then something would need to be replaced, so I assume you can get to all the bits. I guess 'No' is an easy answer for the moment until everything is really ramped up.

Am really enjoying our i3. I commute 64 miles to work, and 64 back, with charging near work.

If DC rapid charging goes wrong, you still have AC fast charging. I am sure the answer was NO to retrofitting. Retrofitting can entail different items then repairing an existing OEM installed option. Just saying rapid charging is not aftermarket installable per info I read elsewhere.
Will look some more for where I read about it.

mindmachine said:
noakey said:

Thank you...

Am really enjoying our i3. I commute 64 miles to work, and 64 back, with charging near work.[/quote]

If DC rapid charging goes wrong, you still have AC fast charging. I am sure the answer was NO to retrofitting. Retrofitting can entail different items then repairing an existing OEM installed option. Just saying rapid charging is not aftermarket installable per info I read elsewhere.
Will look some more for where I read about it.[/quote]

Hi mind machine. .. hmm I think your right... it would involve everything from the power socket on the car, cable routing and probably software in integrated hardware. . Thank you for your info... neil

noakey said:
mindmachine said:
noakey said:

Thank you...

Will look some more for where I read about it.[/quote]

Hi mind machine. .. hmm I think your right... it would involve everything from the power socket on the car, cable routing and probably software in integrated hardware. . Thank you for your info... neil[/quote]

You know it should be possible, but I think cost to retrofit is more likely the issue.

Anyway here is the link: http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=909&hilit=dc+rapid+charging

Good luck, this car is so new what is or isn't possible is tough to figure out.

Well, you know the BMW website video shows the charging port on the i3 has two plugs, and the car we drove at the dealership has both ports, so I'm assuming the plugs are there on all the cars. The salesman says the DC fast charge option is just a software upgrade. If that's it, then the "retrofit" is straightforward :D .

No it cannot be added afterwards. It has to be factory ordered. I'm not saying it wouldn't be possible to somehow retrofit it and upgrade the software in the car, but BMW definitely won't do it.

You would be better off selling the car and getting another one with the option. It would likely cost less and be warranted.

rhend said:
Well, you know the BMW website video shows the charging port on the i3 has two plugs, and the car we drove at the dealership has both ports, so I'm assuming the plugs are there on all the cars. The salesman says the DC fast charge option is just a software upgrade. If that's it, then the "retrofit" is straightforward :D .
The salesman doesn't know what he's talking about or is telling you what you want to hear. If the car is not ordered with DC Fast, the plug and wiring is NOT installed. As to adding it later, probably doable but not for $700 (U.S. price) option. IMO no one should order this vehicle without it. Do yourself a favor and tick this box.

MikeS said:
Zzzoom3 said:
rhend said:
IMO no one should order this vehicle without it. Do yourself a favor and tick this box.

Unless you have a REX and then there is no need!
Not true particularly for U.S. customers who can't force the motor to charge sustaining mode. i3 REx can't run indefinitely on the motor like a Volt can. Eventually, you are going to need to recharge the battery. Isn't the point of this vehicle to run on electrical power not gasoline generated power. Wouldn't you want to do that in 30 minutes, not 4 hours if it was available?

My logic for the REX without DC was simply I don't expect DC/CCS infrastructure to installed along my regular routes within the 3 year lease, in a lot of cases there isn't even CHAdeMO infrastructure. So I opted for the REX to cover me for the times when I am pushing range. I would have absolutely gone for DC option if I knew I was likely to be able to use it, and if that was true probably have gone full BEV anyway.

Don’t see why the REX could not run indefinitely if required - not that I would want to. For me the point of the vehicle is convenience, which means that it is convenient to charge it at home when I don’t need it and it is convenient to use the REX when I want to. Agree that in th eUS its a pain but then that would appear to be your governments fault!

I originally ordered Rex AND DC rapid charge option. When I looked into it, I found that there were NO rapid charging points on ANY of the motorways I use on long journeys: A1 junction 8 to Scotch Corner, M1 junction 12 to junction 24, M6 junction 1 to junction 40, etc.!
So I cancelled the rapid charge option, despite being assured it's definitely a factory fit only so I couldn't change my mind later.
If things improve CCS-wise in future, I'd see things differently. So for now, on (my fairly rare) long journeys, it's stopping for petrol every hour or so!

Look again. CCS chargers are rapidly being installed or existing Chademo modified to suit us. Ecotricty say they will have all their's CCS compatible by the end of the year and at the rate they are progressing I have no reason to doubt it.

The REx is a 34Hp motor...then, you have conversion losses when generating electricity to run the vehicle. Now, if you really wanted a 34Hp vehicle, you might be able to buy an old VW bug or a Citroen 2CV...once the batteries are flat...you have maybe an hour or two of gasoline to run the REx, but the output level may not be enough to make you happy!

Something like the Chevy Volt has (I think) an 80Hp motor, and while that still isn't performance car levels, it's more than typically needed to cruise, and the excess can charge the batteries up in the process.

If you want to use the full 170Hp of the i3, and want your creature comforts, too, you need your batteries to keep you going...the REx won't do it. You'll find you can still go, but you may not be able to go in the manner you expected. It all depends on how you use it, and what you expect. It may work out fine, and is definitely more flexible outside of NA, where you can turn it on early to help maintain the charge...you can't turn it on until the batteries are nearly flat in NA, and are unlikely to ever be able to catch up.

If you want to use the full 170Hp of the i3, and want your creature comforts, too, you need your batteries to keep you going...the REx won't do it.
I agree, the Rex can't do 170bhp on its own. However, we can't use 170bhp for very long!
Here in the UK, where extremes of weather are very rare, I plan to start long journeys with full battery charge and fuel. The first 40 miles of all my long journeys are not fast until I get to motorways, and I plan to Rex as soon as the battery gets to 75%. (The US restraint on using the Rex only below 6% charge would've killed the i3's desirability for me if it applied in the UK - I'd have been compelled to order the DC option - without the chargers to support it.)
I expect to get 80-90 miles or so before the tank's empty and motorway services are reached. Then I'll refill and continue refilling every hour or so on the motorways. With a bit of luck and planning, I expect to arrive with useful charge levels remaining - especially since my long journeys don't finish on the motorways. And if I need 170bhp for passing (or showing off :twisted: ) it should be there.
But we'll see! Only a month to getting it, thank goodness.

MikeS said:
Don’t see why the REX could not run indefinitely if required - not that I would want to. For me the point of the vehicle is convenience, which means that it is convenient to charge it at home when I don’t need it and it is convenient to use the REX when I want to. Agree that in th eUS its a pain but then that would appear to be your governments fault!
Mike it's not my intend to be critical but the 34hp motor has 3 output power levels of which 28kW is the maximum. The Induction motor can draw up to 125kW. Charge sustaining mode is a bit of a misnomer. It cannot actually "sustain" the battery at a charge level in all driving conditions. Yes, in low speed urban driving your power output should be lower, it may maintain charge but at higher motorway speeds (above 40 mph) it cannot and you will eventually run out of charge. If you just keep filling the tank and have no usable charge remaining, your speed will be limited to 40 mph maximum because that is all the power that the motor can deliver.

Question: Does the software allow you to run the motor solely to charge the batteries?

Zzzoom3 said:
...your speed will be limited to 40 mph maximum because that is all the power that the motor can deliver.
A common misconception. As long as there is useable charge left in the battery, it can deliver a full 170 hp. Luckily, sustained highway speed driving only requires around 30 hp, allowing excess power from the gen-set to raise the battery SOC to the level selected either manually or automatically.

Several folks on this forum have proven this to be the case, maintaining between 68 and 75 mph, discharging the battery on climbs and headwinds, recharging it on descents and tailwinds, with SOC varying only slightly. It is designed to maintain a minimum useable SOC of 6%, so it would take a very long climb, or many minutes in excess of 68 to 75 mph to eliminate that reserve of useable charge.

Back