Media screen going blank

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJSATLBA

My central screen ( the pauper's version not the wide screen Pro) blacked out about 5 times today in an hour or so of driving. Each time it appeared to reboot immediately, first going to the BMWi logo then to the main menu. Has anybody else experienced this and if so, how was it resolved please?

Sorry, not seen that (yet!). I have the standard version as well at to be honest don’t miss the larger version at all.

RJSATLBA said:
My central screen ( the pauper's version not the wide screen Pro) blacked out about 5 times today in an hour or so of driving. Each time it appeared to reboot immediately, first going to the BMWi logo then to the main menu. Has anybody else experienced this and if so, how was it resolved please?

Hi Roger,

yep, my pro system does it this since I've got it back from the dealer, yesterday. It restarts every 8-9 minutes. Return appointment in the making.
Read some of the same problems on the German forum as well...

Regards, Steven

Thanks Steven, I drove it later in the day, 3 legs of 7 miles, 10 miles and 3 miles each, over a period of three hours without a recurrence. Feedback after the dealer has looked at it would be appreciated and I'll similarly pass any useful information back to you.

Happened to me on tail end of leeds to London. Never had it on shorter trips, the final time it reset it appeared to disable connected drive. Wonder if module got abit warm, I obviously had been running the rex for a couple 100miles.

Yep. I got this yesterday and today. Never happened before. I know of at least one other person who has the same issue. BMW hotline were particularly clueless. Polite but clueless.

Apparently someone from BMW has posted on the Dutch forums that they are aware of the problem and working on a fix.

I experienced this problem during my commute this morning. Crashed 4 times in about 15 mins, black screen and then an auto reset/back to the BMWi loading screen.

Hi guys,

I suffered multiple 'soft' restarts, every 8-9 minutes, followed by a 'hard' restart, losing all my settings, bluetooth pairing etc.
The media system did operate for a little longer after this, but the soft restarting began again after an hour or so. Again, multiple soft restarts, followed by a hard one. After this second time around, my system seems to be back to normal, or, to say the least, operated normaly for ca. 5 hours. We'll see, keeping my fingers crossed. BMW NL is aware of the problem, should it persist.

Regards, Steven

As an update after the last hard reboot, I lost iDrive access to Connected Drive, so I don't have any BMW Online or RTTI, but it hasn't reset since.

Reported to dealer this morning, will post when I know anymore.

Same thought I posted in another thread...sort of sounds like a bad connection to the 12vdc battery. All electronics are powered by this battery, and a loose connection, bad battery, or bad charging circuit could cause the computer to turn off and restart at random.

jadnashuanh said:
Same thought I posted in another thread...sort of sounds like a bad connection to the 12vdc battery. All electronics are powered by this battery, and a loose connection, bad battery, or bad charging circuit could cause the computer to turn off and restart at random.
Its no coincidence that many i3s started at the same time with this issue, so its most likely that is was a bad update from BMW

Hi guys,

we've been told, the iGenius on the official Dutch i3 forum speaking on behalf of BMW München, that the rebooting of the nav/entertainment system was caused by a change in the chargepoint back-end system. It should be resolved as of now.

Regards, Steven

Stevei3 said:
Hi guys,

we've been told, the iGenius on the official Dutch i3 forum speaking on behalf of BMW München, that the rebooting of the nav/entertainment system was caused by a change in the chargepoint back-end system. It should be resolved as of now.

Regards, Steven

Steven,

For the ignorant, what is the "chargepoint back-end system" and how can this cause our i3s Control Displays to suddenly start rebooting randomly?

Cheers'
Tom

swissmot said:
Stevei3 said:
Hi guys,

Regards, Steven

Steven,

For the ignorant, what is the "chargepoint back-end system" and how can this cause our i3s Control Displays to suddenly start rebooting randomly?

Cheers'
Tom

I think that Steven was just the 'messenger guy'. ;)
You'd better ask BMW what that means

Hi guys,

my guess, indeed only relaying info as messenger guy ;) , is that they messed up something in the online database of charge points that is displayed on your nav system, causing your nav to choke.

Regards, Steven

The jungle telegraph stuff is starting get on my nerves. BMW UK have no record of any remote services issues on the internal support system, there was no faults stored on my car to describe the crash, they reset it and it all started working. It hasn't crashed since and all my ConnectDrive functions are back.

jackt said:
The jungle telegraph stuff is starting get on my nerves. BMW UK have no record of any remote services issues on the internal support system
At least they told you that :) I sent my dealer an email on Monday telling them about me experiencing this issue and asking if there was a fix and never even got a reply.

jackt said:
The jungle telegraph stuff is starting get on my nerves.

Hi Jack,
I could imagine is does. A rather big plus over here is that BMW Nederland has got a reasonably good vibe goin', communication wise. If one is out looking for it, as a 'proactive user' that is...
Regards, Steven

Mine came Friday and 60 miles later over 3 trips it crashed 9 or so times. :eek: It comes back Thursday 6 days later. The Head Unit has been reset, to do with the Pro Nav, and they say it should be fine. Strange that the other new i3 supplied on the same day also failed the same! It's been blamed on my Nokia 520 or perhaps the iPhone 4s which were pairs by Blue tooth. I will see if t happens again when I get it. :eek:

Back