misting interior

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busaman

ive only had my rex a couple of weeks always garaged yet every time i go out in it the interior mists up to the point i cant see out, and have to turn the heating on fairly high even if i precondition the interior until its really quite warm before i go out within a couple of miles its possibly the worst car ive driven for this even my 12yr old golf isnt this bad.

is this common.or do i have a problem with my car.

I'm surprised to hear you're having problems. My Rex lives outside and on frosty mornings I precondition for ten minutes or so. There's never any condensation. Even in the Lake District last week when it was pouring down, and we got into the car with wet clothes, the ventilation system cleared the windows within a minute or so. I hardly ever seem to need to use the heated rear window, either.
Having said all that, I leave the AirCon on all the time, so maybe that's why I am not troubled by condensation. In fact, I'd say the car is probably the best for clearing and controlling condensation of any I've ever had.

I get some mild misting with the Aircon off, putting it on and using demist mode soon clears it though.

I find my i3 seems to suffer a lot from heavy internal condensation. In fact on the recent cold days the moisture has frozen on the inside of the windscreen so `i have to scrape it off - dash looks like it has snowed inside when the screen is clear! Ive put it down to the interior being a bit damp from the recent bad weather and do find that the screen clears quickly if i put the heater on. I then only use the preconditioning if the car is plugged in and that is only about 1 in 5 days.

Its strange mine hasn't been out in the wet and is kept in a reasonably warm garage it did it when i picked it up from the dealers as well, i do find it odd its either sealed so well no moisture can escape or its damp if i set the pre conditioning like i did today i set it to 28 it was toasty in there outside was -3 after 2-3 miles i couldn't see out and had to turn the heating back on. i called BMW but as usual there was no one to take my call (bloody useless customer service and that's park lane London)

Serious misting is very rare in my car and if it does happen putting the climate control onto demist clears it incredibly quickly. I leave the air con on auto and usually drive in Eco Pro mode. I normally get a tiny bit of misting on my way to work even with the air con on but it soon sorts itself out. There have been some air con failures particularly on BEVs with the heat pump if my memory serves me correctly, you might want to check that out.

Bill

Bunter said:
Serious misting is very rare in my car and if it does happen putting the climate control onto demist clears it incredibly quickly. I leave the air con on auto and usually drive in Eco Pro mode. I normally get a tiny bit of misting on my way to work even with the air con on but it soon sorts itself out. There have been some air con failures particularly on BEVs with the heat pump if my memory serves me correctly, you might want to check that out.

Bill

thanks bill but i have a Rex i was looking around under the frunk tonight and cant believe they never utilized the hot water from the Rex for the heater the pipes pass each other by a few inches.

I believe the OP is describing a normal situation that occurs when a car from the relative warmth of a garage suddenly hits colder ambient air. I've noticed similar behavior with mine now that cooler temps have arrived (never gets truly cold here on the edge of the Pacific). There have been a handful of very cool days when I've left the garage and the windshield started to fog. Pressing the front windshield defogger button will clear it within seconds. Then I go back into Auto and the system doesn't allow it to happen again. I've never noticed the effect with my e90. Then again, I keep the e90 on the most aggressive climate control setting and the i3 on the least. I wonder if the i3 would react faster if I turned up the auto climate control intensity or if this is a side effect of the more eco design?

stumbledotcom said:
I believe the OP is describing a normal situation that occurs when a car from the relative warmth of a garage suddenly hits colder ambient air. I've noticed similar behavior with mine now that cooler temps have arrived (never gets truly cold here on the edge of the Pacific). There have been a handful of very cool days when I've left the garage and the windshield started to fog. Pressing the front windshield defogger button will clear it within seconds. Then I go back into Auto and the system doesn't allow it to happen again. I've never noticed the effect with my e90. Then again, I keep the e90 on the most aggressive climate control setting and the i3 on the least. I wonder if the i3 would react faster if I turned up the auto climate control intensity or if this is a side effect of the more eco design?
Correct - the warmer garage means the air in the car won't have condensed and fall to the floor or stuck on the windows. However as soon as it hits the outside frostiness it will all condense on the coldest surface - the windows. Couple of things I can suggest: :

1) is your recirculate drawing in fresh air? If it's frosty outside it will lower humidty than in the car, but the car might be recycling air on startup to warm it quicker. A quick blast of freser air will help clear.
2) Pre warming the car will heat up the windscreen too, and help stop condensation forming. You certainly need to put it in demist mode as soon as you get in the car.
3) When you get home leave the car outside to cool down before putting it to bed. And flush the cabin air before you stick it in the garage. if that's a pain - leave the windows open a bit in the garage. Thmoisture is probably from you breathing and perspiring on the way home or wet clothes. Allowing it to dry out in the garage will stop the condensation in the morning. Just don't try preconditioning with the windows open - lol.

Back