NCAP rating

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TomMoloughney said:
because BMW chose to make certain things optional like rear seat belt warning light

Hi Tom
You seem to imply that rear seat belt warning is an optional feature that could be available, I guess, either as a stand-alone option or included in a package.
In your excellent article, you mention that you want to confirm this possibility.
This could be very helpful indeed, and I'd definitely be willing to pay for the option if at-all available.

But I've been actively searching the web and reviewing the hard copy brochures I received, and I fail to find any mention of it.

Did you receive this information during one of your conversations with a BMW employee? From an insight you had as a member of the ActiveE program?

BTW, congrats again for your engagement and balanced opinions!

agj said:
TomMoloughney said:
because BMW chose to make certain things optional like rear seat belt warning light

Hi Tom
You seem to imply that rear seat belt warning is an optional feature that could be available, I guess, either as a stand-alone option or included in a package.
In your excellent article, you mention that you want to confirm this possibility.
This could be very helpful indeed, and I'd definitely be willing to pay for the option if at-all available.

But I've been actively searching the web and reviewing the hard copy brochures I received, and I fail to find any mention of it.

Did you receive this information during one of your conversations with a BMW employee? From an insight you had as a member of the ActiveE program?

BTW, congrats again for your engagement and balanced opinions!

Hi,
I think I was incorrect in saying the rear seat belt reminder is packaged in an option. I reported that because that is what I read myself in another reaction piece about the NCAP rating. The fact is, that getting specific info like this on the car is difficult and even I (someone that has access to program manager in the US) can't easily get it 100% straight. The fact that this happened over Thanksgiving week only made it worse as few of the program managers were working when I reached out to them.

For now I'm guessing it's not available at all, but will get confirmation shortly. I've actually never had a car that had rear seat belt warnings, only for the front seats but I can see how this would be a good feature for people with children.

The speed limit icon is definitely available as an option though. The i3 I drove recently had it and it was a pretty neat feature. It will be interesting to see how the i3 does in the US crash testing. I don't think they put as big an emphasis on the safety assist features as the NCAP evidently does.

Re i3 safety in case of accident, the following article was posted on the Facebook group some weeks ago. I thought it could be worthwhile reposting it here.
Nobody was badly injured.
In the midst of what some may call the "fourstar-gate", this is quite reassuring, specially when comparing damages on both the i3 and the Seat ;)

http://www.112meerlanden.nl/2013/11/04/aalsmeerderbrug-auto-klapt-op-spiksplinternieuwe-demo-bmw-i3/
N196-Aalsmeerderbrug-002.jpg

N196-Aalsmeerderbrug-005.jpg

Back