Rear fog light: A simple question for non-U.S. i3 drivers

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

websterize

Which bulb number(s) illuminates after pressing the rear fog button on the light switch? I’m curious how it worked from day one (e.g. no coding). In the U.S., the rear fog switch is omitted from the factory on all BMWs.

40098738663_b02b424c50_b.jpg

Retrofitting the euro switch was plug-and-plug on the E46 and E90 BMW models — assume this is also true on the i3.

If it's the same as my GT, the bulb is already there, and the Euro switch just illuminated them when they were turned on (and the proper lighting condition was operational). Try going to www.realoem.com and see if the part numbers are the same...you'll probably find out the rear light assembly is the same, just waiting for the proper signal to turn on.

FWIW, I think I remember the i3 has a dual stage brake light functionality...my guess is that that second, high deceleration rate triggers that light, otherwise, if you had the rear fogs on, it would be constantly illuminated.

It may also be possible to modify the US-spec switch to activate the rear fog. I did this to my 2010 E91 switch, just had to disassemble it, trim off a couple tabs that were preventing the button from pressing in and voila, rear fogs. It might bug some that it's an unmarked button but saves sourcing and buying an entire euro switch.

SSi3 said:
It may also be possible to modify the US-spec switch to activate the rear fog. I did this to my 2010 E91 switch, just had to disassemble it, trim off a couple tabs that were preventing the button from pressing in and voila, rear fogs. It might bug some that it's an unmarked button but saves sourcing and buying an entire euro switch.
I suspect you're right. Also suspect that no coding would be required to activate the rear fogs with the existing switch in the U.S. i3s.

http://www.fastm.com/e92m3/rearfog.html

Thank you, PhilH.

danix, all rear lighting is LED, according to BMW.

Screenshot%202014-12-22%2022.17.25.png

See http://www.kneb.net/bmw/I01/01_I01%20Product%20Presentation.pdf (p. 55).

Back