REx Gas Usage

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

easports82

So I leased the REx as I didn't want the range anxiety of not having the gas available. Hindsight, I should've gone with the BEV and taken the DC Fast charge.

Moving on from that, I haven't had to use the REx at all. I know that the car will cycle the REx itself, however, what should be done about the gas? How often should I be running the batteries empty so the REx runs and gets fresh fuel?

i wouldn't worry about it its in a pressurized & sealed vessel and would probably last for years (unless its real poor quality to start with)

Time to take a road trip? I dare ya! Make sure while doing it you run the battery to empty to get over the fear of what happens. Just don't do it whilst climbing a mountain ;-) Ideally about 5 miles before you know you'll be stopping for a charge.

The only down side is unless you have it coded - you won't have choice of when that will be. Here in the UK we use our REXes all the time and drive all over the place. There's at least 4 people I'm aware of doing 100+ mile commutes. The only downside I experienced was pulling up at the lights after getting off the motorway - the REX stayed on and wasn't just "put-putting" like normal, it was "Waaaaaaaaaa", probably about 2k rpm. I was hiding under the passenger footwell in embarrassment! No restricted speed despite doing 70mph for about 10 miles after hitting the REX trigger on point. Including a gentle climb for 2 miles to where I left the motorway - hence why the high revving - probably got SOC to 3.5%. Maybe just above the restricted speed kick in.

i purposely ran the batteries down to see what the rex experience was like

then ran the rex down to <10 miles

it drives exactly the same to me

i didnt know how long it was sitting on the lot and i wanted fresh gas

:cool:

I too got a REX due to range anxiety, 3 weeks in and it has only kicked in twice, and in both those instances I had not charged on purpose as I knew I had the Rex (or use of another vehicle). I think I made the wrong choice as I now have 200kg of metal to cart around for the next 3 years. If the i3 is your only vehicle, then Rex makes sense, as my second car, I think I should have gone bev, I just wasn't 'brave' enough.

Still, great car though, I'm having great fun.

I got the REx after 18 months of driving a Leaf and getting tired of having to QuickCharge every time I wanted to make a round trip from Santa Clara, CA to San Francisco and back (or SC to Gilroy and back).

My Leaf lease terminates in May, and it has only 9K+ miles on it because I found myself driving my Prius on round trips of 70+ miles because, at 50 MPG, it was a lot cheaper than QuickCharging.

I traded the Prius in for the REx, and will (gladly) be back to a single car in May.

The REx has performed amazingly well. I have the DVDinMotion patch, and had a leisurely 192 mile road trip yesterday using about 75% of a full charge plus 3.5 gallons of gas.

I'm very satisfied with the car so far.

mjk said:
I got the REx after 18 months of driving a Leaf and getting tired of having to QuickCharge every time I wanted to make a round trip from Santa Clara, CA to San Francisco and back (or SC to Gilroy and back).

My Leaf lease terminates in May, and it has only 9K+ miles on it because I found myself driving my Prius on round trips of 70+ miles because, at 50 MPG, it was a lot cheaper than QuickCharging.

I traded the Prius in for the REx, and will (gladly) be back to a single car in May.

The REx has performed amazingly well. I have the DVDinMotion patch, and had a leisurely 192 mile road trip yesterday using about 75% of a full charge plus 3.5 gallons of gas.

I'm very satisfied with the car so far.

Do you stop for gas or carry a can in the frunk?

The fastest way to cover ground is to do both, that way every other stop is on the roadside and only takes 5 minutes. Then when you get off the Hiway to refuel the REx you can fill the aux tank too. Remember to exit the car through the pax door that way the car won't shut off and you won't lose your set SOC in the memory of the REx if you are low on battery.

WoodlandHills said:
The fastest way to cover ground is to do both, that way every other stop is on the roadside and only takes 5 minutes. Then when you get off the Hiway to refuel the REx you can fill the aux tank too. Remember to exit the car through the pax door that way the car won't shut off and you won't lose your set SOC in the memory of the REx if you are low on battery.
That's a great tip. I had been slowing down to let the REX catch up with the set point before pitting in for fuel. Now I can drive fast every where :twisted: Does it let you open the fuel door whilst still in "ready to drive" though? That's a bit silly if they forgot to prevent that.

I just put the "shifter" into P and do not touch the "Ready/Off" button. No problem opening the fuel flap on a NA market car....

Back