Disable AC Auto-On

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RExingIT

Does any body know how to disable the Auto-on feature for the AC and fan? If I want it on, I'll turn it on.

Is there also a way to keep the drive mode in the mode you left it in or set the default start mode?

Thanks.

RExingIT said:
Is there also a way to keep the drive mode in the mode you left it in or set the default start mode?
No. One of the more irritating features.

Please add your location to your profile: it may help answer other queries you have.

PhilH said:
RExingIT said:
No. One of the more irritating features.

Please add your location to your profile: it may help answer other queries you have.

i have already put the solution in the coding section.

turned off auto ac on (a/c on as soon as you turn car on)

IHKA-3003-MEMMORY-OFF NICHT_ACTIV

busaman said:

I did some coding and now the whole HVAC doesn't come on automatically at all, I need to look further into this. I would like the HVAC to come on, and remember my last setting, but not necessarily the AC. I would have to look at my coding notes to see if I used the one you mentioned here, I'll check into it, thanks.

imolazhp said:
busaman said:

I did some coding and now the whole HVAC doesn't come on automatically at all, I need to look further into this. I would like the HVAC to come on, and remember my last setting, but not necessarily the AC. I would have to look at my coding notes to see if I used the one you mentioned here, I'll check into it, thanks.

with this setting nothing on the A/C comes on automatically which is the way i want it (if i want the heating /cooling running il switch it on)

busaman said:
imolazhp said:
busaman said:

with this setting nothing on the A/C comes on automatically which is the way i want it (if i want the heating /cooling running il switch it on)

Excellent, thank you.

Hmmm... strange. The only part that comes on automatically on my car is the fan. If I didn't have the A/C or AUTO buttons activated when I shut down, they are not activated when I start.

I do notice a shut down prompt about "comfort mode" or something like that, but I have not checked that box.

If you turn off the AC by pushing the buttons....AC and the on button, it won't come back on when you restart the car but not sure about the next day tho, the fan does come on that i know of.

jadnashuanh said:
There may be some practical reasons for the fan to come on regardless...removing stale air in the vehicle, as part of a safety requirement.

no all BMW,s do this to remove stale air i personally open the window.

There are vehicle codes that must be upheld...you might not agree with them, but that is another issue entirely. Just like some hate the side marker lights, or the fact that the i3 in its current configuration can't have a sunroof because of the lack of metal support, changing rules is not easy. It's also one reason why we don't have the state of the art lighting BMW has come up with that is available elsewhere...the rules prohibit it, and change is hard.

jadnashuanh said:
Just like some hate the side marker lights, or the fact that the i3 in its current configuration can't have a sunroof because of the lack of metal support, changing rules is not easy.
Must be a NA thing, my i3 got a sunroof. It is splitted, but still a sunroof

I don't think its a NA thing as I've had plenty of cars where the AC doesn't come on automatically. I think its more of a "Zis is zee proper vay to do tings, it iz zee Germany vay. Zerfore, it iz zee right vay."

I called the Genius line and was given something about preventing moisture build up in the vents, yadda yadda. I smell something, and it sure isn't roses.

Given that BMW research has shown that driving with the windows down above 30mph is less efficient than running the a/c, and keeping the windows clear may require a/c use at least some of the time, I think it is quite reasonable to default it on.

jadnashuanh said:
Given that BMW research has shown that driving with the windows down above 30mph is less efficient than running the a/c, and keeping the windows clear may require a/c use at least some of the time, I think it is quite reasonable to default it on.

Don't they have "winter" in Germany? Would it not be just as reasonable for 1/2 of the year to default to heat instead? One can make the exact same argument in favor of the opposite choice for much of the planet much of the year......

WoodlandHills said:
jadnashuanh said:

Don't they have "winter" in Germany? Would it not be just as reasonable for 1/2 of the year to default to heat instead? One can make the exact same argument in favor of the opposite choice for much of the planet much of the year......

Um...

You set the temp, the system decides to run cool or heat based on the cabin temperature. If you have a BEV, both operations are performed by the heat pump.

So the answer is, yes they do heat as well as cool automatically.

And, even in the winter, to keep the windows from fogging up, sometimes running the a/c is really worthwhile...you need dry air, and often, that's not available unless you happen to live in the desert. Get in the car wet with rain or snow, or track in some snow, and you can have a sauna...drying out is really useful!

But if you are just driving short distances having heating or cooling is just a waste of energy as the car does not have enough time to reach the set temp. I rarely use the a/c so its a little annoying to have to switch it off every time i get in the car.

MikeS said:
But if you are just driving short distances having heating or cooling is just a waste of energy as the car does not have enough time to reach the set temp. I rarely use the a/c so its a little annoying to have to switch it off every time i get in the car.

Well some other poster did mention having a pre-departure check list! It focuses the mind...

1) set drive mode
2) adjust seats
3) ac off
4) vroom!

:)

Back