Hack Traffic Jam Assist to restore self steering in USA?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeEyes

So the self steering feature is disabled in the United States of Attorneys. Anyone know if this can be software enabled?

Thanks!

ThreeEyes said:
So the self steering feature is disabled in the United States of Attorneys. Anyone know if this can be software enabled?

Thanks!

Am I missing something or was there every a "self steering" besides the parking assistant? I know BMW demod self driving, but didn't think it was a feature, rather a technology demo?

It's a pretty well known feature outside the US. In traffic it will speed up, slow down, and steer. I think there are videos on YouTube but I'm on my mobile right now so I'm sorry I can't dig them out.

And that must be software disabled. Hence could be enabled. Who doesn't want a self driving car.

Don't answer that ;-)

How certain are you about that? It may be that you're right however my understanding is that the metal strip that runs around the steering wheel is the sensor. In addition to this it would seem strange for manufacturer to produce an entirely different steering wheel just for one country when a legal implication could easily be ruled out with a software tweak. I remain hopeful that is all that needs to be reinstated.

Do you have a source for your information that you could copy here? We appreciate it.

ThreeEyes said:
How certain are you about that? It may be that you're right however my understanding is that the metal strip that runs around the steering wheel is the sensor. In addition to this it would seem strange for manufacturer to produce an entirely different steering wheel just for one country when a legal implication could easily be ruled out with a software tweak. I remain hopeful that is all that needs to be reinstated.

Do you have a source for your information that you could copy here? We appreciate it.
There is a different part number for the steering wheels that are on cars with the self steering feature.

So let's say we order and install that wheel.

Anyone know how to hack the software feature back?

My guess is that the other steering wheel provides the vibration function to alert you. Some of this stuff is embedded in the base code, some relies on a special control module. Retrofitting bits can sometimes be quite complicated if the wiring is not there to support it. BMW does not generally supply one harness...it is built with only the wires and connectors needed for the options as ordered in most cases. This saves them some money, but also means replacement can get costly and somewhat time consuming, as it needs to be built specially, rather than one common part off the shelf. MOstly gone are the days when a harness might have lots of unused connectors, just waiting to plug in an option should you decide to do it later. It's also possible that the camera or it's lens and housing may differ.

If someone does figure out an easy way, it would be useful, I'm not holding my breath.

WoodlandHills said:
Outside of NA an i3 with Active Cruise Control will self-steer up to 25mph.

Actually the limit for the lane-keeping on my i3 is 60km/h which according to google is 38mph.

It's quite a handy feature actually.... ACC keeps to max 60km/h if the traffic speeds up (and sounds an alarm after 5 seconds) but then you just tap the accelerator or resume button and you are back to your preset ACC speed.

ThreeEyes said:
How certain are you about that? It may be that you're right however my understanding is that the metal strip that runs around the steering wheel is the sensor.

nope.... definately the back of the steering wheel... no contact with the metal strip. It seems to be a capacitive sensor of some kind, no pressure required just gentle contact without gloves.

Actually if you are going to hack the car, it would be better to get the TJA working without the steering wheel nag. My wife's MDX drives itself for a bit on the freeway, but starts nagging you to steer after 10 seconds or so. At least the Tesla AP just nags you once but doesn't shut it off just because of a timeout limit. If the lane markings are there and the car can make it out, don't shut it off...

Back