Lowering springs for the i3?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting...

For me, the standard ride is a bit too "spongy", so along with improving the visuals - I was hoping it might make the car a little more poised when cornering at speed?

I see that H&R also now offer a sports spring application for the i3, so does anyone have any experience of this compared to the cobra version?

Whinters said:
Interesting...

For me, the standard ride is a bit too "spongy", so along with improving the visuals - I was hoping it might make the car a little more poised when cornering at speed?

I see that H&R also now offer a sports spring application for the i3, so does anyone have any experience of this compared to the cobra version?

I've only seen photos of one car with the H&R kit installed. If you're part of the FB group you can see the thread/discussion here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BMWi3/permalink/839418212798708/

Thanks - I'll join the group and take a look :)

For anyone who has had lowering springs fitted - was the work required to fit these described as different compared to normal ICE cars? The first couple of mechanics I've contacted have been wary about touching the car, as it supposedly needs to be "made safe" prior to working on the car with any tools? Therefore, is this quite a complicated job (or is this just BMW scare-mongering), and if so, should we be going direct to BMW to perform this sort of work? :\

Whinters said:
For anyone who has had lowering springs fitted - was the work required to fit these described as different compared to normal ICE cars? The first couple of mechanics I've contacted have been wary about touching the car, as it supposedly needs to be "made safe" prior to working on the car with any tools? Therefore, is this quite a complicated job (or is this just BMW scare-mongering), and if so, should we be going direct to BMW to perform this sort of work? :\

Any real car mechanic can do this job without any problem. It is straight forward.
All High voltage wires and devices is out of the way and they are all very invisible with a clear orange marking. No problem!

I'm going to attempt to install the H&Rs myself with a friend. Anyone got a nice DIY write up, hints, torque specs, or suggestions? This was the only thing I could find online so far...
Fronts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYTYYFCe45g
Rears
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj0vvSMilck

Yes. (Sort of). In general terms, because even relatively flat bottomed cars like the i3 are riddled with parts that generate turbulence, anything you can do to reduce airflow underneath without increasing frontal area will improve aerodynamics and reduce drag.

How much? No clue there.

I just installed the ASTs on my 2017 i3. Bought them from Tom at european auto source and I am extremely happy with the customer service. I could've saved extra $40 if I chose an alternative vender but his support throughout the process was incredible. Additionally, the photos they have included in forums really tell the story.
The springs + spacers (12mm front & 15mm rear) arrived super fast (west to east coast during covid and holidays) and yesterday I had a chance to install them. The front took me 2 hours 20min and the rear almost 4.5 hours (including two trips to autozone). First of all, I want to say, I don't own a garage, so everything was done in my DC backyard.
I was surprised that the rear had a lot more going on and space was very limited. Additionally, BMW decided to introduce torx bolt on the rear suspension so I had to make two trips to autozone to get the necessary tools.
Overall, I like the look and that's how it should've rolled out from the factory, in my opinion. It's not aggressive at all. I wasn't looking for a slammed i3 for various reasons. I have not tested the handling at a highway speed yet nor cornering, but I am happy to report back if anyone is interested.

Back