how many with zero i3 problems?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just over 6 months and almost 7k miles on a REx in the UK. Entire family is happy with the purchase, which was as a company car. Calculated comparison for a lease and the UK leasing deals turned out more expensive, as you can't take advantage of the government allowance of £5k. Also, company cars can be fully declared as tax efficient in yr 1.

Only issue was that I had to get my windscreen replaced, which was a headache with the insurer. There's a separate thread on this forum about it.

All smiles here. It's a privilege to drive such a car.

Three months, 3,000miles of trouble-free and enjoyable motoring. As someone else mentioned, only problem if fighting the wife for the keys - it's so easy and such fun to drive.

Picked up our BEV in early April and just clocked over 7000 km this weekend. Longest trips between retiring has been 110km and this left 43km of range remaining which makes for an easy 150km of range. For the 7000km travel consumption is at 14kWh/100km. Have not seen the dealer since picking it up. Only issue is the useless internet connectivity, slow and unstable. Otherwise this car is brilliant and is exceeding our expectations. Won't be going back to ICE.
JTM

Zero problems with a 2014 BEV Mega.

In 8 months of driving 4800 miles only a tire that had to be replaced at 300 miles due to a pot hole (leaks air from sidewall). ALWAYS get road hazard protection on any replacement tires (free from Tire Rack).

Yesterday took longest trip of 142 miles. Recharged for 1.25 hours during trip and made it back with 7 miles remaining. Averaging 5.6 miles per kwh since purchase with yesterday's trip at 6.4 miles per kwh.

The i3 replaced a Volt I drove for 3 years. The Volt was a good car, no problems, and demonstrated I could get the BEV and meet 95% of my driving needs.

Owned our BEV since December 2014 and done 11000 k's. Until 3 was ago had been fault free. Dealer promptly adjusted pass door handle which had become inoperative. Have since had scheduled update of KLE completed with no associated issues following that work. New charging rate has not been checked yet.

Cheers

I think this forum is slightly different than your standard initial quality rating. My i3 failed due to a software malfunction that drained the 12V battery under a particular set of conditions. This was resolved with a software update. Even thought my i3 has been otherwise problem free, I think some errors can be compared to the latest OS or a new program. Updates can help fix bugs which were not evident on beta testing. As cars become more complex, I am sure this will be more common. I do think that wireless updates (eg Tesla) should eventually be the standard for electric cars.

More than 10,000 miles in just over a year of trouble free driving. I am as happy with the vehicle today as the day I drove it off the lot, maybe more so.

Am almost on 30,000 miles in my BEV - got it last April. I had the duff 12V battery connection issue at the start which caused some glitches then the software update that reduced the on board charge rate until a new charging unit was fitted under "quality enhancement" (or recall as it is more often known) last August. And that's it. No servicing other than new rear tyres at 18k miles and it's been driven all over the place. So happy chap. :)

4 months & @ 2000 miles on my 2014 BEV - only issue is keyless entry occasionally does not work (cannot make it happen on demand, but is infrequent enough so not overly concerned0 - everything else has been trouble free!

6 months / 12,000 miles on 2014 REx. Flawless. I use it as my only car, including weekend trips up to 500 miles round trip. If it keeps up like this, I may be tempted to buy it at end of lease...

Similar here. 15,000 miles sicne Jan. No serious problems.

Things maybe worth mentioning are:
1) Chipped the windscreen in May, which lead to a crack. Been waiting months for a large company that deals with windscreen replacements to get it sorted.
1st one failed QC the day it was due to be fitted.
2nd one was due in today but they didn't have a trim part they needed to complete the job.
Trouble is in between each cancellation is weeks of waiting for parts to arrive from Germany.

2) I don't like the charger cyling in the last 15 minutes of cabin preheat - as I've got a Rolec wall pod it clunks a lot. Sounds like someone kicking a ball against the wall. But if the charger was quiet it wouldn't be a problem.

3) The REX once failed to spin up to generation mode and stayed in warm up (low revving). Battery level dropped to 1 miles range. So I pulled over, shut down, restarted and all was fine. Well apart from it then revved it's nuts off till it got back to 6.5% SOC. Never happened since. I have a suspicion I pressed the REX start button (F8) literally at the exact same moment the car decided to start it up, and it caused it to think it was off in 1 part of the system and on in another. (Maybe, LOL).

4) Don't like the way ACC drops to regen mode when it gives up in awkward lighting situations (sun flare or fog etc). Should coast until you touch a pedal.

Other than that... I won't be swapping to another car unless it's a BEV with 200 miles real world range at 70mph and less than £40,000.

[edit jan 2016 - 23,000 miles.. the windscreen was finally replaced when I told my insurance company I wanted to use a local branch of a different national chain who I had contacted in advance to see if they could do the work. Book in on Monday replaced on a Thursday.

Cycling of the Rolecl was fixed in the i3 "Novermber update". Took it to BMW job done. However that did unleash a problem.. the HV batter was diconnected and when reconnected refused to charge. Everntually traced to a fault rocker in the charge port door release which the new software pays attention to as it has a warning if you leave it oipen when driving off.

Just stuck winter tyres on.. summer rears are nearly gone after 23,000 but enough left for a couple of thousand miles. Fronts looking good for 10k more.
Still wouldn't swap it for anything other than a Telsa at the moment.

Just a quick update: 31.000km / 21 months and still flawless.

I'm wondering if I ever have to visit the garage again before the first regulatory check (APK in NL) ;)

Back