Public charging station?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barrychan

So i have been using this charging station for months now at the rec center but not using their facilities. The lady that works there came out to confront me that the spots are reserved for the rec center's patrons? Is that right? Its the VERnetwork charging station.
I didn't want to say she's wrong until i get some answers here, thanks

Businesses often install these things to entice people to patronize their facilities. Unless it is a pay-per-use item (and even then), it's up to the business owner. Parking lots next to a business are private property, and they can limit access if they wish.

If it's private property then the owner of the property gets to set the rules for parking there. It would help if they posted the rules for charging, but unfortunately very few locations do.

I manage public charging stations and I have proper signage which alerts people that the parking lot is for the exclusive use of those patronizing the businesses there.

You also should check with the charging network operator. Each network has its own rules. I investigated having a shared station installed for our condo complex. The eVgo contract requires their Freedom Stations (CHAdeMO-CCS-L2 combos) be open to the public whereas ChargePoint allows property owners to set individual access policies.

barrychan said:
I'll contact the minicipality next week to see, i m sure if it's funded by the government, it should be public.
The government gave you a credit on your taxes (publicly funded) on your i3...does that mean anyone can use your car? You may have gotten a rebate on your purchase from the state (publicly funded). Public pays for parks, does that mean that they can't charge admission fees? A parking garage charges to park there (normally), does that mean you can park and use the EVSE for free? Your argument does not hold water.

I appreciate your answers, what you siad make sense but only make sense.
The rebate to purchase a EV is a incentive, government subsidizes to entice buyers.....part of their green program.
Parks and rec center charges a admission is because they have maintenance and payroll but at a very low cost.
Our kids go to public school free, funded from property tax, parking garage first hour is free and charging also is free, so yes centain things are free even tho its funded by the public ( my province in Canada )
I just sent a email to the director of the minicipality for an answer, its good to know :)

I wonder how people charge their EV if they don't live in a house and all the charging station are either in rec center or parking garages?

FWIW, the government does not have a source of income other than taxes and fees for the most part (well, they can go into debt, and do, but that's another issue altogether!)...while they may have helped pay for some EVSE installations, they do not pay for the electricity you use to recharge your car. If nobody paid any taxes or fees, nothing from the government would be 'free'. How they choose to collect them, is sometimes arbitrary, and inequitable, but you can blame yourself again, because you elect the people that make those decisions.

stumbledotcom said:
You also should check with the charging network operator. Each network has its own rules. I investigated having a shared station installed for our condo complex. The eVgo contract requires their Freedom Stations (CHAdeMO-CCS-L2 combos) be open to the public whereas ChargePoint allows property owners to set individual access policies.

Yes, this is worth noting. These two networks operate in completely different fashion. EVGo owns and operates the stations. The enter into a site agreement where they provide the equipment, pay for the installation, set the fees (it's the same for all their sites) and manage the site in return to the guarantee that the property owner will allow the public access to the station.

ChargePoint on the other hand doesn't own or manage the station. They sell the equipment to property owners, who then pay themselves to install the stations. The property owner then pays ChargePoint an annual fee (About $300 per year, per station) to manage the billing and activation for charge sessions. The property owner can then set their own rules for who is allowed access to the station, and what the fees to charge will be.

Two very different models indeed.

Got a reply back from the sustainability coordinator/energy manager and yes they are installed for those who are using the facilities however they are also for the public to use within the posted time limit :)

Back