Wood Dash Panels

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for getting back so quickly!
I'm not terribly worried about doing the work myself - I will not be replacing with the wood trim (as much as I would like to) - instead I will be doing a wrap on the existing pieces.
I couldn't convince the wife that the $500 for the eucalyptus trim was money well spent - she even had a hard time with the $50 for the vinyl, lol.

The one thing that bummed me out about "Mega World" was the grey dash. I like the brighter upholstery and the wooden dash of Giga...
The car in the showroom at my dealer was a Tera. I'm glad mine wasn't, because just as a matter of taste and lifestyle I like a light-colored interior and can do without leather, but that wood dash and the ochre and buff wool upholstery is pretty.

Then again, that the trims are called "Loft" and "Lodge" outside the US is a little more comforting.

cmj912 said:
Then again, that the trims are called "Loft" and "Lodge" outside the US is a little more comforting.

Not entirely true.

In France, we have four " esprits d'intérieur ":
- Atelier (dark blue and black interior)
- Loft (white / light grey interior)
- Lodge (wool / leather)
- Suite (full leather)

Atelier and Loft are coming with plastic trims. Lodge and Suite have the wood trims :)
Price : Loft + 1500e / Lodge + 2000e / Suite + 3000e (comparing to base Atelier spirit)

Hey guys, sorry to resurrect this topic but we just purchased an i3 with the Mega trim and were looking to also replace the grey dash with the wood panels. Our local dealership is finding the pieces available separately for a total cost of $900 as opposed to the $515 your dealerships have found.

Anyone have the specific part number that was ordered? Trying to determine if BMW jacked the price up or if the dealer is not finding the right thing.

dw81 said:
Hey guys, sorry to resurrect this topic but we just purchased an i3 with the Mega trim and were looking to also replace the grey dash with the wood panels. Our local dealership is finding the pieces available separately for a total cost of $900 as opposed to the $515 your dealerships have found.

Anyone have the specific part number that was ordered? Trying to determine if BMW jacked the price up or if the dealer is not finding the right thing.

I bet your dealer found the right parts and have marked them up, it's 3 pieces that can either be bought individually or as a set.

Left 51459287394
Middle 51459287404
Right 51459287413

As a set 51459332448 $523.53 on bmwmercedesparts.com

Thank you!!

I also called Sterling BMW in Newport Beach and got the exact same part # from them 51459332448. Through their parts site, https://scorebmwparts.com, I find it for $476.60 plus shipping ....

I'm giving the local dealership an opportunity to match it and if they can't I'm just going to order it. :)

dw81 said:
Thank you!!

I also called Sterling BMW in Newport Beach and got the exact same part # from them 51459332448. Through their parts site, https://scorebmwparts.com, I find it for $476.60 plus shipping ....

I'm giving the local dealership an opportunity to match it and if they can't I'm just going to order it. :)

Even better!

THIS IS HOW YOU INSTALL THE 3 TRIM PIECES:

Yes, I've done it. Just yesterday. Use the new pieces to find the location of the tabs as a guide on locations to pry with your plastic pry tools. Yes, you need it. They're less than $10. $5 at Harbor Freight and I think $3 or less from Aliexpress.

MIDDLE PIECE:
The biggest tip is for the middle piece under the infotaintment screen as others have said. It's true that it's easier to remove the stock piece b/c it's plastic and has some give whereas the wood one is thicker and much stiffer giving it a lot less tolerance. Once you pry the piece loose, the hard part is to remove it since the screen is in the way. I was frustrated with it for maybe 10 minutes but figured it out by total accident.

The secret is that once it's completely loosened, you'll find that it's one tab that's stuck - the one closest to the infotainment screen and back of the glove compartment particularly if you have the wide screen version of the i3. Do this with the glove compartment open. It'll give you more space. Rotate the entire middle piece counter clockwise about 90 degrees or a bit less so that it's only the far right (for left hand driver cars) tab is stuck in the slot. That's the bugger that's hard to get out. You'll just need to stick your finger in there and help it with some firm pressure. Very firm. Did I say firm. Yes firm. Use your finger so you can get a good feel of it and you're not going to accidentally put too much pressure, let a tool get loose and scratch something.

It's really about the piece being rotated in the correct position before even attempting to remove the last tab up and out. If you don't rotate the piece almost 90 degrees counter clockwise, I don't think it would ever come out. Orientation of the piece is key. It should face the long direction. Driver-side end of the piece pointing at 7 o'clock and the passenger end of the piece that's "stuck" needs to point at 2 o'clock.

If you're having trouble still, keep experimenting with the angle of the middle piece. You're essentially rotating it about 85 degrees, not quite 90. Have at it. Don't give up. You're almost there. It's not going to come loose on it's own. Remember you need to pull it up and towards you firmly with a finger once you have the piece at the correct angle. All flat in the up/down direction. You're just rotating it to the right hinging on the trouble tab.

PASSENGER SIDE PIECE:
Open the glove compartment to expose the two torx screws underneath. Remove those two screws, then use a pry tool and pry the gently and then lift with the pry tool. The tabs are stronger than you think.

DRIVER SIDE PIECE:
Use a pry tool to lift and pull the AC vent piece loose so that you have better access to the perimeter of the small dash piece there that you're replacing.

MORE TIPS:
Do the glove compartment passenger side first. It'll give you the confidence to do the center piece. Then do the center piece so you can feel proud of yourself like you made such an accomplishment. Chances you're doing this alone so you'll have to pat yourself on the back while your wife is sound asleep as are your kids. Save the driver side baby piece for last since it's easy but has the extra challenge of loosening the AC vent first.

I have also just substituted the GREY Plastic Dash with with the Light Eucalyptus wood - an accessory I have wanted for a long time . It certainly adds to the open relaxed atmosphere that makes driving the i3 so enjoyable as I spend quite a bit of time in my mobile "living room".

The part cost a hefty sum but I did find one online dealer that offered a small discount.
It still came to 550 euros .

Following the instructions from a Post on this forum and a Youtube video ( copy below) I managed to do it in a little under 2 hours .

https://youtu.be/ijNRPEc57l0

I also purchased the necessary set of Plastic Pry tools ... and yes the middle console Panel is difficult and if not set in properly the glove compartment will not shut properly. If you have doubts .. Spend some extra money and have the experts at BMW do it because the thin layer of wood can be easily damaged . ( I myself chipped an edge)

Back