Just Ordered my 2017!

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joey003

Finally pulled the trigger on a 2017 i3 BEV today with slotted production for July.

Protonic Blue exterior with Loft Interior (Mega I think is the US equivalent). Premium and Tech packages, 19" wheels and sunroof.

I'm in love with this car. Can't wait to see the protonic blue in person when it finally comes. Still kind of can't believe that I'll never have to fuel up again!

Nice work Joey - I really like the protonic blue - sadly my wife wanted the White and (unusually!!) she got her way. Mine is not due to be delivered until late August (in the UK)

Awesome! I love the white on it, as well as some of the greys/silvers. I was pretty torn on the colour but my wife insisted I go with the blue.

Didn't mention it, but it's expected to deliver in September at some point.

I live in the eastern US. My dealer tells me orders can be placed in 2 or 3 weeks. How are you ordering now? I also wish to go for the protonic blue, but am debating whether to buy or lease. This tech is changing so fast, I don't want an albatross instead of a car in 3 or 4 years. Any thoughts?

Maplewood said:
I live in the eastern US. My dealer tells me orders can be placed in 2 or 3 weeks. How are you ordering now? I also wish to go for the protonic blue, but am debating whether to buy or lease. This tech is changing so fast, I don't want an albatross instead of a car in 3 or 4 years. Any thoughts?

With the improved range the i3 REX could be your main car for many years to come and still be modern. Sure, there will be better but the i3 is already among the most advanced on the market. In most instances leases do yield the better deals.

Maplewood said:

Production doesn't begin until July, and the dealer I was at had a handful of spots per month of production (or so they say). I've reserved a spot and put the order in, but maybe there's a certain time when they actually submit the orders to BMW prior to July manufacturing?

I've always owned my vehicles (I don't think there's a right or wrong regarding leasing/owning), but I'm at a point where I want to change vehicles more frequently and treat them like a monthly expense. Also kind of curious to see if lease end will line up with the Tesla Model 3 availability or if some other interesting EV comes out of BMW.

I've ordered a 2017 i3Rex, due in the UK mid-August, they say, so delivered early September. We'll see: the present one took over 7 months to arrive :cry: . I wanted to stay with Orange, but they've replaced it with a horrible blue which I don't think "suits" the car at all.
I wanted the same colour as the present car so my friends wouldn't rib me for constantly changing my car - I'm keeping my personalised number - so they probably wouldn't have noticed! :lol:

FWIW, the shipping time to the UK is quite a bit shorter than any part of the US, particularly if you're on the west coast!

Then, depending on when the car is finished, there aren't ships leaving daily, so it might sit at the docks for as much as a week or so. When you're anxiously waiting, that seems like eons! In the US, a presold vehicle gets some preference to a dealer's order for spec. I don't think the UK buys any i3's on 'spec'...they're all built to order for a customer.

FrancisJeffries said:
I've ordered a 2017 i3Rex, due in the UK mid-August, they say, so delivered early September. We'll see: the present one took over 7 months to arrive :cry: . I wanted to stay with Orange, but they've replaced it with a horrible blue which I don't think "suits" the car at all.
I wanted the same colour as the present car so my friends wouldn't rib me for constantly changing my car - I'm keeping my personalised number - so they probably wouldn't have noticed! :lol:

Nice, congrats! Lol regarding the colour. I actually love the protonic blue, can't wait to see it in person.

FrancisJeffries said:

I've done this once and my wife didn't notice :shock:

Has anyone in the U.S. Received notice of a date when dealers will have the necessary information to provide pricing and place orders for a 2017 i3? I have contacted 3 area dealers and am waiting for pricing to be finalized. I will decide whether to buy or lease as a result of their offers. Thanks!

Does anyone know how accurate the estimated delivery dates are?

I ordered an i3 in Protonic Blue (hope I like the colour as I have only seen pictures and videos) on 28 May. I was given a delivery date of 30 September. I am seeing posts on here of peope being given much earlier dates despite having placed orders much later.

The earlier I can get it the better becuase I am impatient and would also like to avoid getting an MOT and service on my current car.

Jezzamk said:

I ordered an i3 in Protonic Blue (hope I like the colour as I have only seen pictures and videos) on 28 May. I was given a delivery date of 30 September. I am seeing posts on here of peope being given much earlier dates despite having placed orders much later.

The earlier I can get it the better becuase I am impatient and would also like to avoid getting an MOT and service on my current car.

I know the feeling. One thing is sure though. BMW is usually providing the maximum delay for the delivery date. It might happen much sooner.

For example, I ordered my 60Ah (Black Shadow, H&K, Lodge, etc.. etc...) the 18th of April 2016, delivery date was the 30th of July ! ... and I got the car on the 15th of June (could even got it a bit earlier, it was already at dealer's place 3 days before).
Of course, depends on options and a couple of factors. On the 2016 model, ordering a sunroof in Europe automatically gave you an extra month of waiting...

Patience, and you'll be rewarded anyway ;)

Jezzamk said:

I don't think they're terribly accurate. I was surprised to hear early September from my dealer, though maybe that's the timelines they're used to. All of these first orders are likely July production, and then the wait will be how long it takes the vehicle to be delivered to the dealer I guess?

I think you'll find that when the original date is given, it is accurate, but things change! If all of the planets align, and things don't have any production delays at the suppliers, or if an order gets cancelled, things can move up. At least in the USA, dealers order cars for 'spec', i.e., they are often not already sold, unlike the situation in the UK where they are essentially built to order. If at any time there are not enough orders to maximize production, things can get done earlier than originally scheduled. For any order, though, it can be modified almost up until the day manufacturing is scheduled to start (but not after!). If a car is ordered for a customer verses for 'spec', it gets priority. Then, there can be variations in the shipping times and how long before the next ship arrives, then throw in say a hurricane that diverts or stalls things in the summer. Shipping is more of a factor the further away from the factory.

Each country/market gets a certain number of production slots, and if for some reason, not all are used, especially if there's an order for a customer verses an agent, that order can get moved up, often, quite a bit.

Back