Ordering this week - Question about Comfort Access

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killban

Hi all,

I am about to put in an order for a 17MY REx.

I have the following options already sorted:-

Protonic Blue - Metallic Paint
Park Assist Pack
Driving Assistant Plus
Pro Media
i3 Sports Package

However, I was wondering about the Comfort Access package. Can anyone who has it recommend it, or conversely anyone who has it who thinks it is not worth the outlay?

Cheers!

I have had my i3 nearly 2 years and am glad i chose comfort access.

It means the doors will always open when you touch the handle and the boot(trunk?) is the same. You just touch the door handle to lock.

It works well and becomes second nature, to the extent that i approach my other car (which lacks the feature!) expecting it to open.

I have heard there are some concerns with security though?

I would not order a car without this feature. When my i3 was in for service last month they gave me a loaner that didn't have it, and it was incredibly annoying having to reach for the key fob every time I wanted to unlock or lock the car.

I've had this type of feature on my car for close to 6 years now, and can't imagine driving a car without. Definitely nice to have I'd say.

jadnashuanh said:
At least in the USA, it appears that they made comfort access a standard feature for 2017...verify with the dealer.

I have got a quotation from the dealer, and Comfort Access is a £330 option in the UK.

I couldn't find the justification for the money being asked. My 4x4 has it but as you've still got to lock the car (which is 50% of the time), I find I've always got the key in a handy location to be blipping anyway. I just prefer to know where my key is.

The one big advantage I've found from comfort access is a power tailgate that you can trigger with your foot. It's God sent when you're carrying an awkward load in the pouring rain. But that's only because large vehicles can take large loads.

I'm not going to be carrying a washing machine to put in the boot of the i3 so why would the tailgate being unlocked (remember you still have to lift it open on the i3) be of any use?

Call me old fashioned but I just don't see it personally.

Gif said:
I couldn't find the justification for the money being asked. My 4x4 has it but as you've still got to lock the car (which is 50% of the time), I find I've always got the key in a handy location to be blipping anyway. I just prefer to know where my key is.

I thought that the car (i3) was auto-locking when you went far away for a couple of secondes. Isn't the case ?

FYI: I didn't pick the feature because I had to make choices at the end (money, money, money...) but I think I would have picked it. must be really handy everyday.

I thought that the car (i3) was auto-locking when you went far away for a couple of secondes. Isn't the case ?
Mine doesn't, but I have the base-est model out there.

Schnort said:
I have Comfort Access with Giga trim and my car doesn't automatically lock like this.

I believe another feature with Comfort Access (if someone can verify) is the illuminated outside door handles. The illuminated handles also light the ground (somewhat) near the door. Another few things to consider.

I thought someone mentioned in an earlier forum that the cool blue interior lighting, when unlocking the door, was part of the Comfort Access package. Not sure if that is true or was confirmed.

In the US, my handles light up, and I have cool blue lighting. Again, barest model of BEV.

We've had CA past two cars before our i3. We opted not to go for it based on the deal we were getting for the car...we're okay without it but I do miss the convenience. Our other car doesn't have CA so we've just trained our brains that we have to fumble with the keys for both cars now instead of one.

brorob said:
Schnort said:
I have Comfort Access with Giga trim and my car doesn't automatically lock like this.

I believe another feature with Comfort Access (if someone can verify) is the illuminated outside door handles. The illuminated handles also light the ground (somewhat) near the door. Another few things to consider.

I thought someone mentioned in an earlier forum that the cool blue interior lighting, when unlocking the door, was part of the Comfort Access package. Not sure if that is true or was confirmed.

I don't have confort access but I have the blue illuminated inside when unlocking the car, and my handles have that white light also. It's standard. (just an additional info: you can change the inside mood light from white to red in the menu of the multimedia center)

I don't think the blue light comes on unless you unlock the car with the key fob, which defeats the whole purpose of comfort access. My salesman showed me the feature at delivery but since I'm always using comfort access I don't get any benefit from it.

I thought mine had it because I thought it was standard as I do not see it as an option on the US build page. I find it annoying that it is missing as the car can start without inserting the key, just unlock and lock I need to pull the key out for. I can confirm it lights up blue after hitting unlock and changes to white once the door is opened.

Every country gets different options.

The blue mood lighting when unlocking the car IIRC comes with upgraded interior option, IE if you have Lodge, Loft or Suite, which all cars in the US have.

Comfort access allows you to grabs the handles and the door unlocks if the key in on you, and pressing the ridges on the handle locks the car. nothing else. wont lock if you walk away etc.

Using comfort access means you may never have to take the fob out of your pocket, and any door/hatch (except the front) can be opened by just using the associated latch/handle. Other than if the battery or interference or failure in some other way, you'd never need to take it out of your pocket. You'd never leave it behind in the car. I think all i3's will start just by pressing the start button if the fob is inside the vehicle, comfort access doesn't change that.

As far as I know, the only time the car will autolock (other than while driving) is if you unlock the car, do not open a door, and leave...it will relock after a delay if you've set that option in I-drive.

To save weight, there are no powered seats, steering wheel, or hatch operations...you have to do it manually yourself. But, not having to fumble for the fob to open anything is a convenience...whether you care to pay for it, is entirely up to you. The exterior mirrors are powered, mostly because it's much easier and safer to do it from remote (with safer being the main operative word here).

As said, 'standard' features vary (sometimes considerably) from market to market on the vehicle.

Back