Seat Belt buckle Retainer

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gt1

The seat bet buckles in i3 are hanging way to close to the floor. Has anyone tried installing aftermarket retainers? The belts in my other cars have these retainers from the factory.

Just go to the dealer and order another set of the 'buttons' that stop the buckle from dropping down to the floor. You'll need something like a soldering gun or heat up say the head of a finishing nail to melt the tab once you've snapped the two parts together to then hold it in place, but it's quick and easy. One half has a sharp point on it that goes into the center hole of the other side...then, when you melt the pointed end, it fills the hole so it can't come back apart unless you cut it off (and then would need to replace it).

I got these clips from the dealer. They're on every other BMW except the i3 for some reason, works perfectly.

0aynwnc.jpg

JDarjxQ.jpg

Multiple options- nice! Are the clips from the dealer similar to these? http://www.ebay.com/itm/30pcs-Seat-Belt-Buckle-Holder-Fasteners-Stop-Clips-For-Ford-Black-Plastic-US-NEW-/172097268619?hash=item2811cbeb8b:g:~zwAAOSwpDdU3ATP&vxp=mtr
I'd rather avoid the visit.

The buttons that Jim refers to are actually used in the rear belts - positions 8 & 9 in this schematic: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=1Z43-USA-09-2014-I01-BMW_i-i3_60Ah_Rex&diagId=72_0805

The clamp option is position 9 here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=1J73-USA-05-2016-F22-BMW-M235i&diagId=72_0762 If you click on it you'll see that it is applicable to every other model except the i's.

After installing the buttons on my seat belts I found out that the passenger belt buckle when not used was rattling a bit against the door so I installed a black Velcro strip where the buckle hits the door and that fixed it.

Just ordered a pack of the clips today when I took the loaner back ready to fit on my yet to be born i3.

The belt was already driving me nuts for two reasons. Firstly as noted by others, the buckle rests down by the floor for some unknown reason. Secondly, the driver's belt was twisted somehow. It wasn't possible by hand to get the twist back out by passing a double thickness fold through the buckle so I am guessing that either the belt had folded over when retracting into the door mechanism or it was fitted twisted from the factory. Either way pretty maddening and not the first car I've taken all the trim off to unbolt, untwist and re-torque the belt retaining bolt.

And if anyone is interested in acquiring a set of these clips I can supply 'em at cost plus postage as I have a few spare :)

PM me if you do, first come first served basis. They are about £2 per clip plus the postage. Not the massive markup a few people on eBay are charging :roll:

I thought about doing a clip like the above mentions when I recently found a solution that works for me. When I remove the belt, instead of letting it drop to wherever, I put it at the top of where the belt comes out, above your left shoulder. It stays there till you need to use it again.

Here's the passenger side..
passenger_zpsot62gdl1.jpg

eneka said:
I got these clips from the dealer. They're on every other BMW except the i3 for some reason, works perfectly.

0aynwnc.jpg

JDarjxQ.jpg

Do you find that these clips in any way help prevent the twisting issue with the seatbelt going into the door when retracting?

Perhaps not, since the clip is under the seatbelt at that point in time, but it might.

Thanks!

2017 and even the seat belt clips I had from BMW have started slipping now. I've resorted to a pair of Renault buttons that you push through the belt. £1.99 off fleabay and work perfectly at last :roll:

Gif said:
2017 and even the seat belt clips I had from BMW have started slipping now. I've resorted to a pair of Renault buttons that you push through the belt. £1.99 off fleabay and work perfectly at last :roll:

i guess its still standard on US.

Do you all have a factory retainer at the bottom of the belt or is the belt sewn together like mine is?

Back