new batterires real world range

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busaman

has anyone got any firm figures on the the real world range of the 94ah batteries in a rex it will make up my mind whether to buy a new i3 or try a tesla...

Given that the latest i3 is essentially the same as the older one except a bigger capacity battery then 'real world' range is whatever you were getting in the old car in the 'real world' times 27.2/18.8. For most of us that's an increase from 80miles to 115 miles.

Well, I drive a 2014 i3 (all options except Rex) and a 2016 Tesla S60 with Autopilot. The i3 will be replaced by a 2017 Tesla X90D next year.

My advice: buy a Tesla S60! If you get snow or drive to snow areas, then buy a S60D for all wheel drive. The Tesla costs you $66,000 (and you get $1,000 off if you use my referral code: http://ts.la/rudolfmichael4822). The only important option you should buy is Autopilot for $2,500. It charges to 210 miles every night which is good enough to reach the next Supercharger for FREE long distance travel. If you like to spoil yourself get the Premium Package but it is not needed, just nice. Everything else about this vehicle is just wonderful. If you like more info, go to the forum at https://forums.tesla.com/forum/tesla-model-s.

The new i3 gives you between 115 and 120 miles which provides you with a maximum range about your location of 50 to 60 miles. As there is no fast charging, you have to wait at least 3 hours until your battery is charged again for your return with a J1772 if it is not occupied. What I hate most, is that the current owners of an i3 cannot upgrade their current battery pack to the new one as this is only offered in Europe. Therefore you sit on your old product and can only sell it if you find a buyer.

The user interface is not comparable between the Tesla and the BMW. Tesla is much more logical and practical. You will believe it when you own it.

If you like advice for configuring a Tesla, send me a PM at [email protected]. I'm glad to help.

Best regards,
Mike

This article might be of interest for you:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/10-000-miles-in-15-days-lessons-learned-in-long-distance-travel.74516/

Mike

In the UK the cheapest Tesla is almost exactly double the price of the cheapest i3 with the larger battery including incentives.

The case for the Tesla is slightly less clear cut here as a result. The Tesla is also a bit too large for the UK, in particular it is 8" wider.

I agree with electricvirgin. It will be interesting to see what the model 3 tesla is like when its more than vapourware.

"I drove over 9000 miles on autopilot - in two weeks - and can absolutely vouch for its safety and convenience ............

for some reason, it tends to veer off past lane markings.......ever-so-slight lane hunting autopilot does in straight roads ....... not only is it unsafe but you will also trigger the collision avoidance manoeuvre ....... as vehicle will hunt for exit.......Pick who you follow wisely"

All of which tells me it isn't safe, is not particularly convenient and I wouldn't touch it with a rusty barge pole :shock:

miemrich said:
Well, I drive a 2014 i3 (all options except Rex) and a 2016 Tesla S60 with Autopilot. The i3 will be replaced by a 2017 Tesla X90D next year.

My advice: buy a Tesla S60! If you get snow or drive to snow areas, then buy a S60D for all wheel drive. The Tesla costs you $66,000 (and you get $1,000 off if you use my referral code: http://ts.la/rudolfmichael4822). The only important option you should buy is Autopilot for $2,500. It charges to 210 miles every night which is good enough to reach the next Supercharger for FREE long distance travel. If you like to spoil yourself get the Premium Package but it is not needed, just nice. Everything else about this vehicle is just wonderful. If you like more info, go to the forum at https://forums.tesla.com/forum/tesla-model-s.

The new i3 gives you between 115 and 120 miles which provides you with a maximum range about your location of 50 to 60 miles. As there is no fast charging, you have to wait at least 3 hours until your battery is charged again for your return with a J1772 if it is not occupied. What I hate most, is that the current owners of an i3 cannot upgrade their current battery pack to the new one as this is only offered in Europe. Therefore you sit on your old product and can only sell it if you find a buyer.

The user interface is not comparable between the Tesla and the BMW. Tesla is much more logical and practical. You will believe it when you own it.

If you like advice for configuring a Tesla, send me a PM at [email protected]. I'm glad to help.

Best regards,
Mike

i wasnt aware that we can upgrade here in europe does anyone know the cost...

Quote from bmwblog.com:

I highlighted “select markets” because it appears that BMW AG is allowing its regional offices to decide if they want to participate in the retrofit program. BMW of North America and BMW UK have both declined to participate at this time. It’s believed that is because the cost of the retrofit is high, and since the cars are still relatively new, they believe few customers would elect to upgrade. While there hasn’t been any official cost announced for the upgrade yet, I’ve had people in European countries that will participate contact me, and tell me they were quoted roughly $8,000 US. I’ve also seen people in i3 Facebook groups discuss a number similar to that, so I believe $8,000 is likely accurate.

I think the upgrade cost on the batteries is 6,000 British pounds or 7,000 Euro's, plus you give your old pack back.

Back