Shadowline (gloss black) Grille DIY

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmoy2002

I've always found the chrome/satin grilles to be ill-fitting to the laurel grey i3 considering they are the only silver trim bits on the exterior of the vehicle. Fortunately, you they can be easily removable and wrapped in gloss black vinyl. Here's how.

First, begin by removing the four torx bits holding each grille under the hood. Three are located on the lower edge of the grill and the fourth on the upper center. Once removed, the grilles are held in place by adhesive. Begin by pulling on one edge until the grille starts to un-adhere to the hood. This takes some effort. I found it easier to leverage the grilles with the hood in the closed position.

Once removed, the grilles themselves are a two piece construction. They are separated by clips. Undo these and you will have your frozen blue and satin silver piece.
qHBgdL9.jpg

Clean the grilles. Once dry, begin by applying your vinyl. This takes time. I found it best to lay the vinyl flay and press the grille into the vinyl. Apply heat and mold the vinyl to the contours of the grille.
LWfBsJ1.jpg

Installation is the reverse of the removal. I opted not to apply more adhesive as the 4 torx screws firmly hold the grilles in place.
UjnKtd2.jpg

CXvSZnm.jpg

Hi, I tried to do the same thing as you. However, I do not dare using force when "un-adhering" the kidneys. Do you have any trick? All four screws on each kidney is of course removed.

did you make any pics with the grill off
so there a hole or just the hood?

maybe for aerodynamics those can be left off and then make smooth

I managed to get the kidneys off using my wife's hair drier. I plastidipped both parts matte black for a more serious appearance.

@GI3L: I would not leave them off. There are "slots" with holes and nooks that don't look good neither aerodynamic. The holes are through the underside of the hood and into the kidneys.

Does not look good without kidneys. There is sort of a "socket" for them both on the frunk. A lot of hole filling to be done in that case.

I created a video on how I removed the kidney grilles from the i3 hood! Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/oP0AB6y2h7o

Back