Getting unhappy with fuel cover

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwilson4web

Hi,

It has become a permanent situation: park by pump; push flap button; test flap which does not open; open trunk; pull weasel manual release, and; refuel. I am seriously thinking about defeating the 'lock' so it might work like the flap over the plug-in socket.

Any recent work in this area?

Bob Wilson

I have read about quite a few REx owners who have had warranty repairs made to correct a problem that prevents the fuel door from opening as it should. I don't know whether improved or identical parts are replaced in the repair. If the same parts are replaced, the same (expensive) repair is likely in the future after the warranty has expired. Maybe a REx owner who knows such detail will reply.

bwilson4web said:
Hi,

It has become a permanent situation: park by pump; push flap button; test flap which does not open; open trunk; pull weasel manual release, and; refuel. I am seriously thinking about defeating the 'lock' so it might work like the flap over the plug-in socket.

Any recent work in this area?

Bob Wilson

i had the same problem with mine you have to remove the lock but leave it connected (elctrically ) or it will throw up a warning..
or get BMW to fix it..

Thank you! Excellent solution.

I have to take the car in for the fuel vent chaffing problem so I'll bring it up then. But if it reverts, the lock gets relocated where it can no longer do any harm.

Bob Wilson

Just a FYI...unlike most cars, the i3 pressurizes its fuel tank. This means that before you can open the filler, it must depressurize to be safe. That includes some sensors and a vent, which, if not all working properly, will not send the signal to the latch so you can open the thing. What really needs to be done is to determine why it is not opening, otherwise, it is potentially unsafe to open it prior to it releasing the pressure on its own. Luckily, my use pattern did not suggest the need for the REx, so I don't have any of those related issues. They may crop up in the i5, if that looks to become the replacement for my two cars, whenever it shows up.

jadnashuanh said:
Just a FYI...unlike most cars, the i3 pressurizes its fuel tank. This means that before you can open the filler, it must depressurize to be safe. That includes some sensors and a vent, which, if not all working properly, will not send the signal to the latch so you can open the thing. What really needs to be done is to determine why it is not opening, otherwise, it is potentially unsafe to open it prior to it releasing the pressure on its own. Luckily, my use pattern did not suggest the need for the REx, so I don't have any of those related issues. They may crop up in the i5, if that looks to become the replacement for my two cars, whenever it shows up.

ive tried that also it makes no difference if you leave the cap off.. the pressure in the tank is no different to any other car its only sealed for the emissions/fumes/stop all the gas(butane co petrol is now so low octane they have to boost it ) in the fuel from evaporating. i dont know why they bothered really unless it a safety thing where you have over filled the tank..

jadnashuanh said:
Just a FYI...unlike most cars, the i3 pressurizes its fuel tank. This means. . .
Our Prius are notorious for throwing a code if the fuel tank cap is not on or leaking. I never had that problem but over in PriusChat we can find others who suffered the problem.

The rumor is CARB required a pressurized tank. Regardless, the manual override, that thin green pull line does not inspire confidence. Especially because I don't feel a distinct change when the flap is unlocked.

Bob Wilson

bwilson4web said:
jadnashuanh said:
Just a FYI...unlike most cars, the i3 pressurizes its fuel tank. This means. . .
Our Prius are notorious for throwing a code if the fuel tank cap is not on or leaking. I never had that problem but over in PriusChat we can find others who suffered the problem.

The rumor is CARB required a pressurized tank. Regardless, the manual override, that thin green pull line does not inspire confidence. Especially because I don't feel a distinct change when the flap is unlocked.

Bob Wilson

possibly but its not pressureised as such wit a pump or air it doesnt thow any faults after you hav filled it and there is no pressure then...

I had a big problem with the fuel door starting last Thanksgiving and finally in February the service center fixed the issue. It would stop at a random ready to fuel at percent. The fix - my pressure sensor needed recalibration. Worked fine after that, although I have only refilled once since then.

Just got this fixed under warranty. The fuel tank pressure sensor has corrosion issues with us fuel. Causes tank to randomly not open due to invalid pressure readings.

In later sensors the wires are gold plated to prevent the corrosion issues re-occurrence.

Get it fixed under warranty while you can. The 2015's are getting close to being out of warranty.

After a couple of years and 10,000 km of REx driving our gas cover has started to malfunction on our 2015. I have been able to pull open the door with my finger nail rather than pulling the manual release. Has anyone else tried this?

First, I don't have a REx. Someone earlier indicated that to release the door, you must HOLD the release button until it says the pressure is released on the display. Out of curiosity, do you just hit it once, or do you hold it until it says it will open?

I have to take the car in for the fuel vent chaffing problem so I'll bring it up then.

This happened to my 2015 and after this fix all is fine. Opens quickly now.

As I posted elsewhere, I had to take my 2015 Rex in for a stuck fuel flap with two days left on the warranty. I provided the dealer with a photo of the control message and suggested that it was probably the fuel sensor. I got the usual non-committal response but about an hour later I got a call confirming that the sensor had failed. The part arrived the following day and after a quick fix all is now fine. Thankfully, BMW covered the cost.

Just had mine in last week for its annual service and had them look at the fuel flap, here's what they did:
COMPLAINT: CLIENT REPORTS FUEL FLAP HAS FAILED TO OPEN A FEW TIMES.
CAUSE: FOUND FUEL TANK PRESSURE SENSOR CAUSING FAULTS
PERFORMED BRIEF TEST FOUND FAULT CODE 80601D STORED FOR FUEL
TANK PRESSURE SENSOR IMPLAUSABLE. RAN TEST FOR PRESSURE
SENSOR FOUND IT TO BE READING OK AT THIS TIME.
RECALIBRATED PRESSURE SENSOR AND CLEARED FAULT CODES

So nothing got replaced, we'll see if it happens again in the coming year.

I have a related problem. On a 400 mile trip to Los Angeles, I had to top off the REX tank with a jerry jug. The door to the gas cap would not release with the interior pressure release button or the green emergency release. So, I kind of pried the door open because it was that or be stuck on the highway.

In the process, the body-color panel on the outside of the gas cap cover has sort of popped away from the inner black plastic "hinge" part of the cover, so that it looks unstreamlined when closed. I cannot figure out how the gas cap cover is constructed; it looks like it snaps together but I can't see enough through the gap between the gray and black parts.

I know this is a bad explanation, but has anyone taken apart the hinge/gas cap cover assembly?

Chuck

If it's the same as the charging port door, the trim cover just pops back onto the inner frame. I had that get dislodged on mine once...popped right back on with no ill effects.

Just had my door release repaired on the used 2017. I picked this car up a couple of weeks ago. Sensor was the problem.

It would seem to me with all the problems (with such a minor component) this should be a recall item?!?!

Doug - out

Had the same issue but it was replaced under warranty. A month later BMW sent a letter stating the warranty on FUEL SENSOR is extended to 10 years.

This is such a common problem, BMW should address it at no cost, maybe check with them before taking the DIY route!

You can bypass the cable release: when you get the door open,take a thin screwdriver or awl and push in the locking pin in the latch so it’s always “locked “ the door can then be opened with your fingers,without going inside the hood.

Back