High beam and Dome light mod - pics included

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ad78

here they are..

Front
bbymmrx.jpg

Rear
8JVdp7O.jpg

with cover
qJb7HdE.jpg

194 Installed
GSg8iH2.jpg

ybg0aTi.jpg

zmaEKZn.jpg

H11 Fanless
au8MJJI.jpg

Installed
0p4ZPHo.jpg

zBSgxNM.jpg

uNXgwjj.jpg

8WISJfR.jpg

lower all the way down the apperture
PWyAJFD.jpg

What kind of replacemnt bulb to we need for changing both the interior bulbs ?
like is it 7440 or what is the type ?

Interior lights are all LED.
Another mod I plan to do is to install LED bulbs for the front corner lights. I did a full LED conversion of my X5 and it looks so much better.

Not with deka. Although, front compartment and rear are led
These are 194

Also, i noticed , the interior lights Dim , before they go off.
Are their any issues with LED , when the Dimming happens.
I understand not all LED are Dimmable. Only some more expensive ones are.

Do we need DImmable versions only for the replacement.

I have the Deka, and the original lights are yellow as hell , apart from being under powered. I doubt if they are LED.
It seems they were meant to replaced ....

They dimmed just like the old one. This what i like about these leds i purchased. Here they are

YITAMOTOR 20 x Ultra Blue T10 Wedge 10-SMD LED Light bulbs W5W 2825 158 192 168 194 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YZR7GVK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_prFc7TG2eR5CG

Halo Automotive Premium Fanless H11 LED Conversion Kit - 40w 8,000Lm 6000K White CREE - 2 Year Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IAC8QI2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_E3tabdBLivUpn

EVMan said:
Also, i noticed , the interior lights Dim , before they go off.
Are their any issues with LED , when the Dimming happens.
I understand not all LED are Dimmable. Only some more expensive ones are.

Do we need DImmable versions only for the replacement.

I have the Deka, and the original lights are yellow as hell , apart from being under powered. I doubt if they are LED.
It seems they were meant to replaced ....

Can someone please confirm if my MAIN headlights is a regular one vs LED
Its yellow and looks week.

w884mw.jpg

The car sticker confuses me as it says LED element , i guess its referring to the LED daylight
Also it says the door handle lights are standard. but i do not see any lights turn on or any related configuration for it.

EVMan said:
Can someone please confirm if my MAIN headlights is a regular one vs LED
Its yellow and looks week.

The car sticker confuses me as it says LED element , i guess its referring to the LED daylight
All U.S. i3's have LED low beams and daytime running lights and halogen high beams. I haven't read of LED high beams being an option in any i3 market.

EVMan said:
Also it says the door handle lights are standard. but i do not see any lights turn on or any related configuration for it.
I believe that door handle LED's are included only with U.S. 2014-2016 Giga and Tera World trims, but not with Mega World.

I have the DEKA WORLD - 2016 Rex - US

May be i am wrong , but the lights don't look like LED in appearance, and they are dull and yellow.
If they are LED , probably unlike the bright white LEDs in most luxury cars i have seen.

The sticker says
STANDARD FEATURES
- LED Headlights
- Ground illuminating Lights in Door Handles

Then under PRICE - OPTIONS & ADDITIONAL CHARGES - its says
Value Package - Halogen Headlights w/LED Daylights

I have not seen any option to turn on the "Ground illuminating Lights in Door Handles"
Though i do see some small whole's in the door handles which may be LEDs

That does not look like an LED bulb assembly to me. I'm not near my car now, so can't look. BUt, it does look like a halogen base. I think if you turn the wheels fully one way, and look at the back of the lamp assembly (you'll have to remove a cover), you'll see a bulb clip holding it in, and if you remove the socket, you'd be able to remove the lamp. The LED assemblies are sealed.

An Internet search reveals that the Deka Value Package was a limited-production offer from April through June, 2016. The Value Package does indeed remove the LED headlight option resulting in the standard halogen headlights being installed. The Value Package Plus option included Comfort Access which might be tied to ground illuminating LED's in the door handles. Our Giga with standard Comfort Access includes these LED's which illuminate automatically (i.e., there is no switch).

alohart said:
An Internet search reveals that the Deka Value Package was a limited-production offer from April through June, 2016. The Value Package does indeed remove the LED headlight option resulting in the standard halogen headlights being installed. The Value Package Plus option included Comfort Access which might be tied to ground illuminating LED's in the door handles. Our Giga with standard Comfort Access includes these LED's which illuminate automatically (i.e., there is no switch).

Yes , Thank you.
The main headlights are indeed halogen based. The link explains that.
Even the inside lights are very yellow. I believe they were designed to be replaced.
Its interesting that the smaller LEDs are cheaper than their halogen counterparts now in china.

I was able to charge the interior front light.
But unable to change the interior middle light.

With the pry tool, it looked like the whole assembly ( the bulb holder base and back screen) will come out , and not just the translucent cover .

When i was pulling with pry tool , it looked like the whole assembly was glued into the interior cloth, and i was afraid if i rip it off, it may permanently get damaged and not hang in again.

Now i have blue in the front and dirty yellow light in the back

Any advise to remove the middle cover is welcome.

Thx

They are pain in the neck seriously! it took me a while on the back and i broke 1 clip. but ggood thing is as long as the ridges are intact they will locked together when you put them back.
patience and dont worry about the cover, the clips are very challenging. start in the corner and use 2 pry tool or guitar pick. that's what i used
EVMan said:
I was able to charge the interior front light.
But unable to change the interior middle light.

With the pry tool, it looked like the whole assembly ( the bulb holder base and back screen) will come out , and not just the translucent cover .

When i was pulling with pry tool , it looked like the whole assembly was glued into the interior cloth, and i was afraid if i rip it off, it may permanently get damaged and not hang in again.

Now i have blue in the front and dirty yellow light in the back

Any advise to remove the middle cover is welcome.

Thx

Any pics on how to properly remove dome light and rear light cover without breaking clips, etc?

Back