Windshield replacement

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokiri

I managed to get hit by a rock, and it cracked the windshield, so I'm looking at replacement now.

My service advisor quoted $1500-ish, and made some statement about how non-OEM glass would be cheaper, but BMW might not honor the warranty around leaks and things if they don't do the replacement with OEM glass.

My insurance company (Progressive) tells me that I'd be $400 out-of-pocket in addition to the deductible if I go with OEM glass, so it's a pretty substantial price difference.

For those of you that have had a BMW before, is that really true?

I had the windshield on my 335d replaced with non oem glass. The mirror never fit correctly. The windshield got cracked again, this time went for the oem glass, perfect fit. The installer said they're made in the same factory, but my experience tells me the QC is more thorough on the oem glass.

I think the total parts cost comes to $915 (plus tax). This includes a new rain sensor (not sure if they can salvage the existing one). How many hours were you quoted for labor? Also ask for labor cost for recalibration. I believe insurance companies will cover that 100%.

I know I'm a bit late to this party, but I recently had the same issue with having a cracked windscreen, and I live in WA, and apparently, getting a new windscreen is not only not cheap by any means, but the mere fact that my insurer, USAA only goes through Safelite makes me wonder if these people know anything about how these cars are built and the materials that are involved that must be observed when installing a new windscreen etc. The cheap bastards want me to pay more beyond my standard deductible because I wanted an OEM aka proper fitted windscreen. What kind of bulls**t is this? As far as I'm concerned, it's a really grubby way of doing business and in this time, it's another prime example of how we are paying more for less as insurance and warranties on cars are just getting worse over time as well as the service despite me paying a higher premium etc. It's no longer about going to bat for long time clients, it's about the bloody bottom line aka money. If there are no aftermarket windscreens for this car (I3), then why should I get bent over like as if I had an option to begin with? What an absolute bloody waste of time getting the run around etc. with these crooks aka the insurance industry. :x

I've had my i3 windshield replaced within the first year of ownership.

My insurance company was keen to use Autoglass, who can fit the screen on your drive or in a parking lot whilst at work, for example. Given the CF bodywork I had reservations and it was a major hassle to finally having the screen replaced by a BMW dealer.

Since then I had an issue with a glue drip gradually emerging (over a long time) from the mirror. This was fixed under warranty a few months ago.

I managed to get the screen chipped again, but this time rang Autoglass straight away to have it filled in with glue before the crack spreads any further. I can only advise other owners to react promptly and do the same if a crack occurs.

I recently had my windshield replaced. I had a stone chip that I didn't notice because it was near the middle top of the windshield where the rear view mirror is and was hard to notice. Didn't notice it until a few long cracks were visible. I had a fairly smooth experience getting the windshield replaced.

I called my insurance company (AAA) first to file a claim and told them I needed to have it replaced with an OEM windshield. Not even sure if an aftermarket is available yet, I saw from this post that there previously wasn't one available. They gave me a claim number and recommended Safelite and they gave me a number to call for them. I called them and they had the information but it hadn't been approved yet. I was told I would receive an e-mail from the insurance company stating whether the claim was approved or not, given I needed an OEM replacement. I didn't hear back for a few days so I decided to call a few local shops since AAA told me I could choose another shop if I preferred. Neither of them could even find the car in their system so I decided to call the insurance company back. I was worried that they were going to deny the claim since I requested OEM but they stated that the first person I spoke with didn't enter something correctly in their system. From there it was another phone call to Safelite to schedule my appointment.

Safelite called me a few times before the appointment to remind me about it. I brought it to them instead of having them come out to me, figured that would be the best in case any special tools were needed and they recommended it. I was told I was fortunate with my appointment timing because a few 'senior technicians' were at the shop that morning, including one from Detroit that had replaced a windshield in an i3. Not sure if that was coincidence or if they planned this. The job ended up taking about 4 hours but the main technician that worked on it came into the waiting room frequently to give me a status update. I told him I was in no rush so he could take his time with the job. Looks like quite a few trim pieces had to be removed adding time to the replacement.

Overall I was very satisfied with how smooth everything went, after the initial hiccup. I was worried about the OEM getting approved or having to pay extra for this. This is the first claim I've filed with AAA and the first time I used Safelite, but they seem to have a relationship that made this process very smooth. Only complaint is they didn't clean the inside of the new windshield very well, I didn't notice until driving in the evening when the glare from the sun showed an incomplete cleaning.

The total cost for the job would have cost me around $880, including $618 for the windshield, $40 for a "kit", $182 for the flat rate installation, and tax. Fortunately my cost was only my $100 deductible.

Attachments

• Windshield_Out2.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 12,398
  • Windshield_Out1.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 12,398
malark3y said:
I know I'm a bit late to this party, but I recently had the same issue with having a cracked windscreen, and I live in WA, and apparently, getting a new windscreen is not only not cheap by any means, but the mere fact that my insurer, USAA only goes through Safelite makes me wonder if these people know anything about how these cars are built and the materials that are involved that must be observed when installing a new windscreen etc. The cheap bastards want me to pay more beyond my standard deductible because I wanted an OEM aka proper fitted windscreen. What kind of bulls**t is this? As far as I'm concerned, it's a really grubby way of doing business and in this time, it's another prime example of how we are paying more for less as insurance and warranties on cars are just getting worse over time as well as the service despite me paying a higher premium etc. It's no longer about going to bat for long time clients, it's about the bloody bottom line aka money. If there are no aftermarket windscreens for this car (I3), then why should I get bent over like as if I had an option to begin with? What an absolute bloody waste of time getting the run around etc. with these crooks aka the insurance industry. :x

Not sure how your policy is written with USAA, but I too have a cracked windshield, live in WA, and also USAA insurance. I’ve been with them almost 35 years. I’m retired army officer. Have life, auto, home, boat insurance with them. Also two credit cars, home loan.

I called them and they told me I could go with anyone I wanted; did not have to be Safelite. According to both google search and my local dealer, takes special equipment to properly remove bonded windshield from i3 without damaging the carbon fiber frame. Dealersservice departments have that specific piece of equipment. I’d bet Safelite does not.

I went with the dealer. Ended up being $1800. OEM glass. USAA paid every penny of it, no problem.

Interesting. My car was broken into a few days ago via a thief using a punch of sorts to break my front passenger window. Initially, I had a safelite shop at the ready to replace the new window, but they did not know how to remove the door paneling, so they told me they did not want to damage anything and said I should go to the dealer. Of course the dealer wants to charge me an arm and a leg to replace the window, but since I've exhausted all practical options, I have no choice but go to the dealer. I've contacted my carrier (USAA), and safelite about my situation, but it seems the insurance only wants to cover a measly portion of the $900+ job at hand despite their glass contractor, safelite saying they can't do anything. I'm getting the run around and it's driving me insane. Any insight as to what I should do? From what it sounds like, the insurance is going to make this a pain in the ass as much as possible.

The window itself is $155, part # 51337290860.
Looks like the window has to be changed from outside, not inside. Here is a picture of the outer skin removed. It is held by clips, just like the inside door panel. You have to remove the door handle and pry out the panel. You can do it yourself and collect the insurance money.

22339198_1544351469012556_8603153447718768840_o.jpg

Thank you Bawareca! This is fabulous information. I prefer to fix things myself as it is far less aggravating than dealing with dealerships and repair garages.

Did any of the clips get broken in the process? I'm assuming the process is the same with the passenger side? And how does the door handle come off? Thanks.

Another thing I noticed was the dealer wanted to replace the window regulator in addition to the glass. Is that even necessary? Seems like they want to screw me out of a few bucks as I can't imagine that broken glass can screw up a component like a small motor etc. Let's not mention they tacked an extra hour of labor just to clean up the glass on the inside of the door. What a screw. Any tech with the right level of professionalism will clean up the area he or she worked on after they are done, irrespective of adding extra labor charges for an easy clean up with a vacuum cleaner etc. It's called taking pride in your work let alone doing your job. All the more reasons to wrench on my own stuff.

There are 2 caps on the door sill, next to the handle. Follow the instructions. A few clips may break, but they are a few cents at the dealer.

Lever out caps (1).Note:

(2) Adjusting screw

(3) Mounting bolt for outer door handle

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/obj/1VnXWmGSr4

Twist adjusting screw (2) until outer door handle (1) in area (A) protrudes the maximum distance outwards.

Release screw (3) by approx. 5 to 6 turns.

Pull out outer door handle (1) and disconnect corresponding plug connections.

Interesting. Helps a lot lol. How does the glass pane go in? Is it plug and play so to speak? Thanks.

Here are the direct links to the instructions. I will remove them in a day or two.
In the preliminary task there is a link to removing the outer door skin.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/i01-i3-hat/repair-manuals/51-body-equipment/51-32-power-windows-manual-operation-front/1VnXiuGAoq

Back