Coding daytime running lights

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scobb

Hi,

I searched the forum before posting but didn't find an answer, so I hope someone can help. I have a 2015 i3 BEV that has just arrived in from Japan. The car has daytime running lights (DRLs) and adaptive LED headlights installed. Trouble is, the DRLs will not turn on unless I turn either the sidelights or headlights on. They are not on when the light switch is in the "0" position. I would have expected the DRLs to be turned on permanently, irrespective of whether the sidelights or headlights are on. That's surely the whole point of them - they are on even in daylight when other lights aren't needed!

My local BMW dealer has so far given me some BS about the car not being optioned for DRLs, so they can't turn them on. My guess is they don't know what they're talking about. I have a guy coming to do some coding for the satnav and radio tomorrow, and I wondered if anyone here knows the coding necessary to enable DRLs independently of the other lights?

Many thanks in anticipation of your help.

Simon

U.S. versions include an iDrive setting that determines how the DRL's function. If you haven't already done so, you might look through the iDrive menus to see whether that setting exists.

Thanks Art. I presumed it would be there as well and it was the first place I looked, but I've trawled through the menus and there is no option for enabling or changing the behaviour of the DRLs. That's why I think/hope that it will require coding. The BMW dealer speculated that it might be that although the hardware clearly exists, as the DRLs illuminate when the headlights are turned on, having them operate independently might be a chargeable option that has not been enabled.

Anyone else got any thoughts on this?

just got this sorted today.

To code DRLs on you need to code your FA and and HU

add 8TN into your FA and REMOVE 8TM

in HU you will see a setting for daylights, set to activ

save and push it to car and you are done.

test by power on and turning lights to 0 position

Hi Castigan,
How did you program the drl setting,
i don't see the HU module in e-sys,
I need this to be always on without possibility to turn it off (canada) i3 is from the states
Thanks
Lester

I actually need help im having the same issue but im not sure on how to code and stuff if someone could help me would be much appreciated?

Back