Salvaged title 2014 i3 bev

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluetoothBobby

Considering purchasing a 2014 i3 bev with a salvaged title. Of course, the dealership is stating the vehicle has been repaired to like new condition. Other than the obvious (no warranty, low resale value, etc...) is there anything unique to the 2014 i3 that I should be aware of from a repairs standpoint? Does anyone have any experience in this area?

Why does it have a salvaged title? Wreck? Flood? I’d avoid a flood car. I have a friend who buys salvaged cars. He’ll drive them for a few years and the sell them for what he paid so he’s basically driving for free. The people he sells to seem to be less shy about buying a salvaged car since it’s been on the road a few years with no issues.
Regarding the repairs done to the car, I’d have an independent mechanic check it out, especially the frame.

I would suggest, leave it alone if it was in a flood.
BMW electronics do not like water.

Damage may not how up until later.

Why would anyone purchase a vehicle with a salvage title? After 35 years of owning a BMW, Mini and M/Benz repair shop, I saw numerous people attempting to defy the financial reality of a salavged car. The general attitude was that "now I can afford to have a BMW". I would tell them no, this is not the way you can afford a BMW. This is the most expensive, unrewarding way to own a BMW. The insurance companies 'total' a car based on their repair cost analysis based on proper repairs also incorporating safety requirements. Those who chose to 'rebuild' one of these totaled vehicles are basing their cost justification on doing the work themselves or a less than qualified 'shop'. I saw a lot of corners cut during the refurbishment that left out concern for safety in an attempt to keep the overall cost reasonable. Reasonable costs thresholds were already determined by the insurance companies when they totalled the vehicle, how can non-professionals think they can defy repair reality? Also, what about long term issues with the totaled vehicle that an inspection today can not reveal i.e. mold, corrosion in control units, wiring issues, used replacement parts, unprogrammed used control units, poor aluminum weld repairs, poor composite repairs, deletion of airbags, non-replacement of required control units, etc. I saw it all and there is no cost justification. Will the insurance company insure a known totaled car? What are you going to do with this 'Frankenmobile" when you done with it? Who are you going to sell it to? Are you willing to assume some liability if someone is injured or worse?
As many good used cars that are out there to purchase WHY would you even consider purchasing junk with your hard earned money? Do not waste your money.
My 2cents worth. This is not meant to start a s*it-storm. It is meant to help you not make a mistake.
Road Jager

RoadJager said:
Why would anyone purchase a vehicle with a salvage title? After 35 years of owning a BMW, Mini and M/Benz repair shop, I saw numerous people attempting to defy the financial reality of a salavged car. The general attitude was that "now I can afford to have a BMW". I would tell them no, this is not the way you can afford a BMW. This is the most expensive, unrewarding way to own a BMW. The insurance companies 'total' a car based on their repair cost analysis based on proper repairs also incorporating safety requirements. Those who chose to 'rebuild' one of these totaled vehicles are basing their cost justification on doing the work themselves or a less than qualified 'shop'. I saw a lot of corners cut during the refurbishment that left out concern for safety in an attempt to keep the overall cost reasonable. Reasonable costs thresholds were already determined by the insurance companies when they totalled the vehicle, how can non-professionals think they can defy repair reality? Also, what about long term issues with the totaled vehicle that an inspection today can not reveal i.e. mold, corrosion in control units, wiring issues, used replacement parts, unprogrammed used control units, poor aluminum weld repairs, poor composite repairs, deletion of airbags, non-replacement of required control units, etc. I saw it all and there is no cost justification. Will the insurance company insure a known totaled car? What are you going to do with this 'Frankenmobile" when you done with it? Who are you going to sell it to? Are you willing to assume some liability if someone is injured or worse?
As many good used cars that are out there to purchase WHY would you even consider purchasing junk with your hard earned money? Do not waste your money.
My 2cents worth. This is not meant to start a s*it-storm. It is meant to help you not make a mistake.
Road Jager
All my BMWs are/have been salvaged. I buy clean cars with low miles and not too much damage directly from insurance companies. That means that the damage can be assessed properly before it has been masked by someone. But I dont even get close to flooded cars and I recommend to anyone to stay away from them, as much of a great deal one may look like.
I have fixed all cars by myself and they are all fully insured by AAA. All have come to around 60-70% of the market value at the time, except my X5 diesel, which is another story. Last car I bought in March this year was a fully loaded '15 i3 REX with 10k miles. After all said and done it came out to $15k, but it has no warranty. In other words, in some cases it may worth it, but only if you know what you are doing. And there are plenty of hidden risks.

BewareCA:

Interesting strategy, where do you purchase your salvaged cars? At a dealer auction?

Regards,
Rick

Back