My '15 Stormtrooper

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swingkat420

Been looking for an EV and finally settled for an i3. I went back and forth from REX to BEV, was all set for BEV, it was silver, but was leaning towards a capparis white. Dealer had a white sitting there and ended up making a deal for that a REX. All fine, but kept getting a weird error everytime I pulled in my driveway about frontal collision not working. It has been at the dealer since going on a week. I had it for 4 days. I won't get the car back till next week. Waiting for a part to come in from Germany. They said they'll reprogram the frontal stuff.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B90SZ-hvP5LxR2huME1pSExyLW8/view?usp=sharing

I really wanted white: it makes so much sense here in Australia where, until recent years, nearly every car was white to reflect the sun’s heat. And it’s such a tiny car, you need a light colour to increase your visibility to other road users.
But the dealer quoted me $3500 to respray the bonnet and I just couldn’t live with the black/white contrast. It’s even worse on 2018’s where there’s even more black.
I was quoted $800 to vinyl wrap the bonnet, but the wrap doesn’t have the same gloss as well polished paint.

OzRob said:
I really wanted white: it makes so much sense here in Australia where, until recent years, nearly every car was white to reflect the sun’s heat.
With the average high sun angle here in Hawaii, I feel more heat radiating down from the black roof than through the windows. No matter the color of the paint, the roof is always black. I don't park enough in the sun to make this serious enough to install exterior IR-reflecting film that's used on windows. I think that would really help.

Totally agree - the real problem is the roof and white would be so much better. It’s also true that as far as the interior temperatures after standing in the sun are concerned, colour is largely irrelevant. However, touching a black panel (door, frunk etc.) will feel much hotter than touching a white panel. Caparis White all over would look awesome, but cost too much to achieve...
It’s all about the looks! That’s why I’m getting an “s” - to get the biggest wheels!
Robbo

I love the car in white, looks great.

I have to say if you want the roof wrapped in white, buy some vinyl on ebay and wrap the roof. Or spray it with platidip. Either way you can always peel it off. It's a big flat panel that most people don't examine close up. Don't treat your car like it's the Mona Lisa.

BTW, the good venal is 3M 1080.

I was thinking of doing a Union Jack in German color on the roof of my car.

jadnashuanh said:
TO work best, a radiant barrier needs an air gap beneath it, otherwise, conduction heating negates a lot of the benefits.

There are air space/gaps between the CF top to the bottom of the headliner?

Back