Scratchy Sound From Steering Column

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pixelpro

I have noticed an intermittent scratching type sound when making slow speed left hand turns coming from the steering column. It seems to be more pronounced in cold weather. Has anyone else experience something like this? I wanted to isolate what it might be before I waste my time at the dealership as they will inevitably not be able to reproduce the issue since it is intermittent.

I noticed the same thing, but it only happens when I cannot or do not precondition - IOW, while the interior is really cold. Because the car had sat in their workshop for awhile after me driving it there, they couldn't reproduce it. So, yes, you are not alone, but you may need to let it sit outside at the dealer for them to be able to hear it, and, it doesn't' seem to last all that long, so it may be a real problem isolating it. I don't think it is hurting anything except maybe one's sanity. Play the radio louder!

Might this be related to the defective part that causes the steering column to be loose in its support? This can cause the steering column to rattle.

websterize said:
On the service checklist:

"Steering noise in low temps. Fix: Lube spring pads via SIB 31.06.14."
Thanks for that...I'm pretty sure if the dealer had heard it, he would have followed up with this, but I'll bug them the next time it's in to perform that service.

I agree with Websterize, we see this quite frequently. Just needs a little lubrication and it should be good to go :)

Pixelpro said:
I have noticed an intermittent scratching type sound when making slow speed left hand turns coming from the steering column. It seems to be more pronounced in cold weather. Has anyone else experience something like this? I wanted to isolate what it might be before I waste my time at the dealership as they will inevitably not be able to reproduce the issue since it is intermittent.

I know it’s been two years since the original post but my 2017 does the same. Did you find what was the reason back in 2015?

I had the same exact noise under the same conditions. First time I took it to the dealer they lubed/replace a bushing at the bottom of the steering column. That didn't fix anything. The second time I took it in, they replaced both upper strut mounts and that took care of the issue. Apparently there's a service bulletin for that too.

Have also had the loose steering column issue fixed some ways back. Recently the 2014 was in for airbag-related issues and the dealer took it upon themselves to fix the following:

"...squeaking noise coming from steering column. Defective steering column switch center (SZL)."

Back