Shade for Moonroof

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultraturtle

Side by side comparisons between our 2014 i3 without a moonroof and our 2017 i3 with a moonroof prove that the largely transparent fabric slider that covers the top glass does nearly nothing to cut out the sun baking our heads. Does anyone know of source of insulated panels to sandwich between the fabric and glass, or do I need to order a couple custom fit panels from HeatShield?

3M's crystalline tint blocks a very significant amount of both IR and UV even when the actual tint isn't very dark. It's a bit thicker than most, and a little harder to install. You have to be certified by 3M to buy and install the stuff. It's got like 200-layers of coating on it. It's the only tint certified by the Cancer Society for blocking UV against potential cancer (most glass does block a good percentage, but this drops it to essentially as close to zero as you'll likely get without being almost opaque). It should help the fabric live longer, too.

I have leftover of these in my attic...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/38752784

I just cut 2 pieces of 14" x 17.5" and placed it above the fabric sunshade, worked like a charm. Low cost too! And because they're flexible, they can be easily stowed in the car when not in use!

When I took delivery of both my 2019 and 2020 i3, the second day of ownership I had the moon roofs tinted with 3M ceramic tint, quite dark. It keeps almost all heat out and darkens the cabin a bit more. It is necessary IMO. I did 3M ceramic tint on the ENTIRE car. The i3 is like an infrared greenhouse w/o tinting. BMW should have used thermal glass like Range Rover, Jaguar and some Mercedes use!!

Back