BMW i3 - Heat Pump is fitted in the front of vehicle...

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsmith

...just the clarify the location of the heat pump option, as there has been a lot of talk that the heat pump goes where the REX engine lives.

Check out these technical drawings http://realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=1Z22&mospid=56088&hg=64&fg=18

...and it's clear the heat pump and gubbins are at the front. There may be some ancillary bits for the REX that get in the way (radiator, fuel tank?), however the Heat Pump is not fitted where the scooter engine is!

BMW confirmed this yonks ago at the LA Auto show last year and it was discussed here at the time but the suggestion that the heat pump is where the REx is installed is just one of those incorrect pieces of info that just won't die :lol:

Hopefully this thread will do the job :D

I agree it looks like there could be some REX related ancillaries at the front that stop the heat pump being fitted, this could be why the...
"heat pump goes where the REX engine is" rumour started!

BMW has never (to my knowledge) said the heat pump goes where the REx motor goes. What I have been told was there was "packaging issues" with fitting both the REx system and the heat pump. I believe the heat pump does occupy the space that the REx gas tank actually.

mrsmith said:
...just the clarify the location of the heat pump option, as there has been a lot of talk that the heat pump goes where the REX engine lives.

Check out these technical drawings http://realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=1Z22&mospid=56088&hg=64&fg=18

...and it's clear the heat pump and gubbins are at the front. There may be some ancillary bits for the REX that get in the way (radiator, fuel tank?), however the Heat Pump is not fitted where the scooter engine is!

Great info - I wish the images were larger in order to see more detail

Back