Traffic jam assist retro

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
czarmar said:
The Quidzel hands on detection emulator is brand new, but the simplicity of install/uninstall and no nag is probably the two key differentiators. Both modules do relatively the same thing.
I helped the guy to code his car after he installed Quidzel module. There were numbers of cafs missing, but I was able to source them. What is strange is that he gets ACC and TJA errors. Did you have to do anything other than add 5AR to VO and VO code all ECUs?
I saw your post on page 8 about getting ACC error but that was prior to having the emulator installed and programming SAS. I suggested him to remove the module to see if the behavior changes. Did the car had to go to sleep or did you have to clear errors manually?
It should be a pretty straight forward process, but I am thinking something is wrong with the module or the installation. Though since I have never done this retrofit previously I am not sure if coding instructions are complete (they seem so though).

Email quidzel if there’s an issue. If you have Rheingold, look for steering wheel touch Lin slave missing. Quidzel tries to respond pretty quick..

Thank you for your reply. We e-mailed the seller and he is shipping a replacement. The module is either not properly programmer or has hw issues. There were several errors including LIN bus related to that and he concluded the module is likely dead.

shehadehd said:
boomerE30 said:
Excellent! So my understanding is that the self driving system remains OEM while being able to take out the "annoying" part - the requirement of having the wheel on the steering wheel.

One last thing, Bimmercode app allows to code the TAJ to operate at a higher speed (76km I think?) as well as to code it to operate on back roads. Seeing that you are not changing anything, this should be possible to code I suppose?

I am currently working on a write-up to allow you to enable TJA via bimmercode rather than having to get a hold of e-sys. However, there are a couple ECUs that bimmercode doesn't appear to support and so I'm trying to figure out if it's even doable. But to answer your question, yes, you can code those changes.

I have played around with enabling TJA on back roads. it works, but usually back roads have thinner lanes and the TJA system will complain about them (it also really hates intersections). However, on service roads, it works just fine.
I've also played around with enabling it for, effectively, all speeds (up to 99mph) and I do NOT recommend it over 45ish mph. It appears that the controller have been tuned specifically for low speeds and the update-rate isn't fast enough to make minor adjustments at high speed and so the car oscillates back and forth within the lane. It also will not be able to track through larger bends and veers out of its lane. Basically, it's much more stressful at high speeds than just driving yourself lol.

Can you provide details on how to enable TJA for all speeds and backroads?

Thanks

Ron

Quote courtesy of Guy Mayhew on the i3 FB page...
All roads is:
ICM/3000/C_STA_Einschraenkung - set to "keine Einschränkung" to make it work on all roads

Max speed is:
ICM/3000/CQalcRel_v_Tacho_akitv_mph - set to the max speed you want in hex - I used 0x64 = 70 mph

czarmar said:
Quote courtesy of Guy Mayhew on the i3 FB page...
All roads is:
ICM/3000/C_STA_Einschraenkung - set to "keine Einschränkung" to make it work on all roads

Max speed is:
ICM/3000/CQalcRel_v_Tacho_akitv_mph - set to the max speed you want in hex - I used 0x64 = 70 mph

Actually these parameters are wrong for i3. I coded Ron's car today. i3 doesn't have ICM module. Here is what one need to change in i3.
to disable interstate only:
SAS/3000/LDM_STA_Einschraenkung - set to "keine Einschraenkung"
to disable max speed:
SAS/3000/LDM_QalcgRel_v_Tacho_aktiv_kmh - change hex value to "63" (0x63 = 99 in decimal = 99kmh). You can change hex value to whatever you want to. The default setting is 60kmh.
SAS/3000/LDM_QalcgRel_v_Tacho_aktiv_mph - change hex value to "3E" (0x3E = 62 in decimal = 62mph). You can change hex value to whatever you want to. The default setting is 35mph.

BTW after emulator replacement the TJA is working fine.

I just had my car serviced and the dealer updated the software to the latest version. After that I installed the Quidzel module and attempted to add 5AR. All seemed to go OK however I don't get the steering wheel icon on the cluster - only the side markers and the car doesn't steer. See photo: https://imgur.com/MRxpn5a

I also get this weird message:
https://imgur.com/a/AAVJ8

That looks right to me. You’ve got the system active from BMW’s point of view.

In order for the steering wheel to appear, the right conditions must be met:
-Driving on a street or freeway with visible lane markers
-A car must be in front of you for your car to follow
-You must be driving no faster than the speed you programmed for TJA. By default, 35MPH or less. I don’t suggest using it any faster than 45.
-The system of course must be turned on.

When all conditions are met, the icon appears, and the system is steering.

I think you should look at what the max speed is set to - you normally wouldn’t get weird characters for the speed TJA would work to..

RGloverii said:
That looks right to me. You’ve got the system active from BMW’s point of view.

In order for the steering wheel to appear, the right conditions must be met:
-Driving on a street or freeway with visible lane markers
-A car must be in front of you for your car to follow
-You must be driving no faster than the speed you programmed for TJA. By default, 35MPH or less. I don’t suggest using it any faster than 45.
-The system of course must be turned on.

When all conditions are met, the icon appears, and the system is steering.

You were right! It's works! I just hadn't presented it with the right scenario. Thanks!

czarmar said:
I think you should look at what the max speed is set to - you normally wouldn’t get weird characters for the speed TJA would work to..

That was my next question - how do I figure out what value to enter for say 50 mph?

I don’t suggest going up to 50 MPH. You will experience a LOT of weaving from left to right in the lane. To an outside observer, it will sort of look like a drunk driver.

I don’t think the system is very smooth beyond about 40 MPH.

But to answer your question, you need to convert to HEX. 50 MPH would be 32 in HEX.

I just installed Quidzel this weekend but regardless on express way or normal road when I try to activate the TJA the following message "Traffic Jam Assist Cannot be activated." Any hint on how to resolve this?

tpaxadpom said:
Thank you for your reply. We e-mailed the seller and he is shipping a replacement. The module is either not properly programmer or has hw issues. There were several errors including LIN bus related to that and he concluded the module is likely dead.

Well, I got my Quidzel module last week, and tpaxadpom did the coding on it last night. Three hours of troubleshooting, and it looks like another dead module. It says TJA is available, but when I try to activate, it fails, and there are error codes indicating steering wheel wrong version, steering column switch cluster wrong version, and touch detection Missing LIN slave, just as he got when programming the other person's car in March.

Contacting Quidzel now.

Edit: Contacted Quidzel. Advice? "While the car is on, attempt to activate TJA until it throws the error, then while the error is still displayed on screen, unplug the module and plug it back in repeatedly."

I tried this. It did not work. I emailed saying so. He said to keep trying. I ended up having to unplug/replug the module 7 times in rapid succession before it triggered. In the process, the "expressway only disable" and speed limits were both reset to the defaults. (tpaxadpom had disabled "expressway only", and set the speed limits up to 45 MPH. But even with it working, with no 'full car coding' done since, it insisted on expressways, and when I was, it said "only up to 35 MPH".)

Does anyone know where in Bimmercode the ICM/3000/C_STA_Einschraenkung and QCalRel_v_Tacho_aktiv (mph and kmh) settings are? I can't seem to find them - yet others in the thread have said that Bimmercode can do those settings, even though it can't add 5AR to the whole car as needed to activate it in the first place.

FYI - the i3 doesn’t have an ICM. The ICM’s functions are handled by the SAS, for which you have to code with e-sys as Bimmercode can’t do the SAS as far as I know.

So for the i3 to enable all roads and adjust the speed, you’ll need to get e-sys..

CharonPDX said:
tpaxadpom said:
Does anyone know where in Bimmercode the ICM/3000/C_STA_Einschraenkung and QCalRel_v_Tacho_aktiv (mph and kmh) settings are? I can't seem to find them - yet others in the thread have said that Bimmercode can do those settings, even though it can't add 5AR to the whole car as needed to activate it in the first place.

Hey, I am having exactly the same issue as yours, trying to figure out how to get TJA working on the F15. In the meanwhile my steering vibration seems to have stopped working also.

Anyways the correct setting I believe is "C_QalcgRel_v_Tacho_aktiv" not "QCalRel_v_Tacho_aktiv".

I have recently ordered the Quidzel TJA module. Probably the first install in Australia. Does anyone have clear step by step instructions of the coding using Esys to make the TJA work on a BMW i3.
So far I have managed to install Esys on a virtual machine program on Windows 10 to defeat the token crap by setting the system clock back to 2017. I found a PDF online "Beginners Guide Coding" which basically shows how 5AR is added to Salapa-element. Then my question is which ECUs need to be coded?

PART 1 - CHANGING VO (Vehicle Order):
Connect >> Select car type "VehicleInfo=I001" for a BMW i3 (do not select the "DIRECT" option) >> Expert Mode >> In Vehicle Order Box, click on the "Read" button >> Click on the “Save” button >> Create a file name and Save it >> Click on the “Edit” button >> screen will automatically change to FA-editor >> Expand the FAList folder system on left until SALAPA-Element is visible >> Click on "SALAPA-Element" to select it >> Add "5AR" to SALAPA-Elements in alphabetical order in the window at the bottom >> Click on the Save Changes Icon at the upper right corner of the lower window >> Right-click on "FA" and select "Calculate FP" >> After FP is calculated, WITHOUT ERROR, save the new FA >> Select “Expert Mode” >> Click on the “VCM” tile >> Load your saved FA file >> Right-click on "FA" and then select "Calculate FP" again >> Select the “VCM Master” tab >> Click on the “Write FA FP” button and the new FA will be written to the car.

PART 2 - Coding the ECUs
Click on "Coding" button >> Read FA (VO) >> Activate FA (VO) >> Read SVT >>
Repeat the following steps to code each ECU.
>> Right-Click on ECU (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) >> Select "CODE" and you have just coded the selected ECU.

GGHj7Ov.jpg

Have I missed anything?

lopezjm2001 said:
I have recently ordered the Quidzel TJA module. Probably the first install in Australia. Does anyone have clear step by step instructions of the coding using Esys to make the TJA work on a BMW i3.
So far I have managed to install Esys on a virtual machine program on Windows 10 to defeat the token crap by setting the system clock back to 2017. I found a PDF online "Beginners Guide Coding" which basically shows how 5AR is added to Salapa-element. Then my question is which ECUs need to be coded?

Have I missed anything?

I could write a guide if that would be helpful. I got the Quidzel TJA working in my 2014 i3. I also uncapped the maximum speed to 75MPH, and use on any roadway enabled as well. I believe you need to code all of the ECUs. When I first tried it, I coded only the ECUs that were suggested by Quidzel, but kept getting errors. Coding the entire car fixed that issue. To do this you 'code' the SVT. It takes about 2-3 minutes to do all of the modules. All of your old coding changes will be reset back to factory specs.

https://www.bmwesys.com/guides/Beginners%20Guide%20Coding.pdf Is a pretty good guide.
Start on Page 34 for information on how to VO code. You're trying to add 5AR.

Also, you're probably aware of this, but your i3 needs to have the tech package, (option code 5AT [from the factory]), in order to do the TJA retrofit.

Back