I3s first drive

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiwi

This has taken 3 years for BMW to come up with a great i3s driver’s car. I had the car for only 30 minutes but what a fantastic better car than the old i3. I’ve had over the years plenty to say on the poor driving ability of the i3 and this was the reason I purchased my BMW 225xe.
I have booked the i3s for a full weekend test drive next weekend and hopefully the front seats will work out to be ok as these were a disappointment in the old i3 models. Price doesn’t worry me much as to get this kind of driving performance for the price just isn’t out their.

I have similar sentiments. The original i3's highway driving left some to be desired, which is why I went with the e-Golf. Getting to drive both my new i3s and the old e-Golf side by side over the last week, they're more comparable. I have to say though I still give a slight preference to the e-Golf when it comes to highway comfort. It feels sleeker and softer. But the i3s is superior in city driving for the visibility and turning radius. Plus, it will go over 85 mph.

Today being Friday I picked up a white demo i3s for our weekend test drive. We've just come back from a very dark tight, hilly, twisty roads and what a car. This is everything the i3 should have been from the start.

My complaints from my test drive 3 years ago where:-

Sloppy steering now excellent.
Cornering was horrible now excellent
Head lights were like candles now excellent
Seats were not great now excellent.
Battery milage is all I need for a days driving and do not need the rex engine.

Looks like the i3 discussion is over on this forum after BMW brings out a great i3s this year.

Kiwi said:
My complaints from my test drive 3 years ago where:-

Sloppy steering now excellent.
Cornering was horrible now excellent
Battery milage is all I need for a days driving and do not need the rex engine.

Response from our 2014 non-rex i3:

Steering is good. Very sharp and excellent around the suburbs and city.
Headlights are ok, but could be better. Hardly drive at night here so not a problem.
Seats are very comfortable. What changes on the i3s seats?
Battery mileage is all we need for regular driving around the city.

Are you going to reveal your like and any issues on your i3s?

Kiwi said:

Er, the seats haven't been changed in the i3... Same exact seats it's had the whole time.

The LED headlights were there from the start as well. In some countries (such as the US) they've always been standard and some they are optional.

Back