Welcome to the BMW i3 Forum

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LCTRNZ said:
Can anyone explain to me when using the level 1 charger at home (my level 2 will be ordered soon), must I select Maximum or Reduced or Low charge setting? Also, how do I know to select Reduced or Maximum when using public Level 2 chargers?
These charging power settings allow one to protect the charging circuit in situations in which the EVSE can't be configured to protect the charging circuit.

For a portable EVSE like the Level 1 EVSE included with an i3 that cannot be configured to limit its charging power, the car must limit the charging power if the charging circuit cannot safely deliver the 10A or 12A that the EVSE can require, depending on which i3 EVSE one has. If this EVSE is plugged into a 15A or 20A circuit with no other electrical loads on this circuit, then the Level 1 charging power can be set to "Maximum". However, if the circuit has other electrical loads and using the EVSE with the car's charging power set to "Maximum" results in the circuit's circuit breaker tripping or fuse blowing, then the Level 1 charging power should be set to "Reduced" or even "Low" if "Reduced" still results in a tripped circuit breaker or blown fuse. If one charges at different locations, the Level 1 charging power setting might need to be changed which can be easy to forget to do.

I am not aware of a Level 2 EVSE that cannot be configured to limit its charging power, so setting the Level 2 charging power to "Maximum" is the normal setting. The "Reduced" setting is available in those rare situations in which the Level 2 EVSE is not able to protect its charging circuit.

Read the Mobility > Charging Vehicle section of the Owner's Guide for more information.

It's possible, but less likely, that a level 2 EVSE might not be on a dedicated circuit, so, just like on the level 1 unit, you might need to tell the car to use less power to keep from blowing a fuse. FWIW, you cannot damage the car - the car knows from the EVSE how much power is available, and won't try to use more, but if the EVSE is sharing its power input, that combination might cause it to overload its power input capability back at the power panel, triggering the fuse or CB for that circuit.

Hello everyone! Glad to join in this forum. I'm interested to buy or lease the 2017 BMW i3 94 ah Range Extender. This could be a great option for me. I hope that I can find more updates and great information in this forum!

Hello guys! I’m very happy to join this forum. I love latest BMW models and I want to collect all the latest information regarding BMW cars. I’m very excited about it. :)

DanielThomas said:
Hello all! I’m planning to buy BMW car from a good car leasing dealer. So, Can anyone tell me the best option for it. :D
Just talk to your other sockpuppet at the leasing company you work for. He's just one post above yours. And then if he doesn't give you a good answer, consider the one above that.

Ordered my new i3 REx 4 weeks ago so please everyone tell me I've ordered the best most reliable ev on the road.

Keith1959 said:
Ordered my new i3 REx 4 weeks ago so please everyone tell me I've ordered the best most reliable ev on the road.
Yes on "best" but for me with a 2014 model, still an open question on "reliable." By now, many of the infantile problems I've seen have been addressed in your new car. Enjoy!

FYI, we also have a 2017 Prius Prime thanks to a REx infantile problem. Between the two, the Prius Prime is the highway warrior and the 2014 REx the urban commander. Yet each can fill the mission of the other, just not as well. We've driven 700 miles each way to Oklahoma and back in the REx like doing a cross country on a motorcycle, frequent stops. As for the Prius Prime around town, it means frequent stops at public EVSEs or use gas. They actually back each other up.

Our Prius Prime had an infantile problem, excessive negative camber. To fix the problem, the Prius Prime was down for a week during which the BMW i3-REx got me to and from work and various auto parts stores. But last month, the Prius Prime was the backup when the REx was in the shop for a recall. But the one thing in common makes them equal.

Dynamic cruise control and collision avoidance makes both cars a joy to drive. For example, three weeks ago, allergies inflamed my right eye, it was very painful to open but I was eight miles from home. Using dynamic cruise control, the car allowed me to drive home, safely in traffic, with one eye closed. As long as you ordered dynamic cruise control, you are golden.

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson

Hello everyone, not sure why it took me so long to join, been mostly on the FB pages. I'm in my 13th month of ownership of my '14 Solar Orange CPO REx and have loved everyday so far. I'm tinted 15% all around, debadged, coded, LED swap for high beam and front turns, and installed a custom LED light bar at the rear of the car. Looking forward to gaining more knowledge and adding to the community. I'll post a new thread with a link to the video of the light bar for anyone that's interested.

-Matty

Hi everyone,
New to the forum and new owner of a 2017 REx. Took delivery today. Still figuring out the charging and driving styles.

Just got my 2014 I3 Rex and so far I am really loving it. In this area I haven't ever even seen another I3 and the local BMW dealer sells them but doesn't actually stock any. At least I have a place for service.

Pete B.

Hello. New member here. Just bought a 2016 i3 REX. Haven't been to the gas station in 6 weeks. I laugh every time I pass a Chevron. I get a lot of questions about my BMW but so many folks don't get it which actually doesn't bother me. I've saved over $600 in gas already. The money I used to spend on gas is now buying me an i3. They just make sense.

Hello new to the forum have had my 2016 Terra Rex loaded for about a month now. Very happy with the car and haven't really traveled too far yet. Got a great deal as it was a lease turn in with 24k miles .

wmjuv7.jpg

Hi there. I just got my 2016 i3 REX a few weeks ago and LOVE driving by the gas stations!
Having a couple issues with my Siemens Level 2 VersiCharge unit but the car is fantastic!
The wife and I go back and forth on who gets to drive it that day.... :lol:

Hi everybody!

After stalking every brand of EV for many years, Just bought my new i3 base in black!

BMW_BEV_zpsb9iwplex.jpg

Nice to meet all of you,

Jack

Hi Everyone,

I've posted a few times already and realized that I haven't said hello properly. Well ,"Hello!". ;)

First time EV owner and long time BMW petrol head. I purchased a 2014 i3 BEV with Technology Package, 20" Double Spoke rims and DC Fast Charging as the major options. Range is obviously down from new but still enough for my 3km to work. I'm loving driving the i3 and my fiance applauds me for trying to be greener and being a little bit more environmentally conscious.

Here she is;

2lt0u3l.jpg

Tosh

I also bought a 2014 BEV that looks just like the picture above! ^

I'm in the Phoenix area and bought mine Certified Pre-Owned from a BMW dealer here. I love the car. Gets me to where I'm going.

Hello.

Just bought this 2019 i3 BEV this weekend. Very excited. Week ago if you asked me I'll be buying it I'd have given you a strange look. One test drive and I was hooked, especially at the killer deal I was able to get. We were looking to add a city friendly vehicle as none in our stable truly are.

HnkEtYcUInjzfa2j9r8b0UtX-_Px_TpZqsdJG74KLl7pCitzzwZvf_cLweBYizpiov599I1J_hZR4jMMXqZ5OPBmSyPxJS-WQjA7KUoDpM_hydDpOTLTOcezwOnAZasBObR0m-wboXIgWfmzBKLtnBDsr9-CsZf5vxmNy7h0jLU8wP00P2Cb4KKkDO_UiW4fBykTlr8ewr0DCVR5dzVl37cK4DD5bY5STnulzDu-qjIrHoS4U7YnTyCJZgI5TVD8zamlic0WdoxSJ_Ibgkm_LPuHR-o77DX9EdNmhm4MfbtV0k17CH9AAjXe6taxqIOaQWkBfgLCVv3w8Feg3vxmO9n-9MFxvBhDulv-tuQJ1-dhyIYs27F9A1rTejZbh9nyoEegTDDNseqRrB_ZwBXAAt-ilbC00Gbp9knOn6I264NOZxXxVU4edwYpgZ4HTapjw1Jh2jbtzkVSxWgaZzKAiPQrULrA_vZh2aCKYLcwhYWFmEFWzIUKfe00gugPzFAM74NlRLOSsIx_0zHrTZeA5oxhGgyme3YvO_GbMLusOpV4N3Hh2aojfUEl0OvcmYm248J5nzXB0qDNpLPrbUUVCSROGtNhJI7_J7Gm3Q-4jMvgY2bl4W2GKyMVmz_F893KvaIXeey-KwUHjv0OEG0DnrBDpwXt3kj3A5d-ii-Tu--yBMRSK2a7p90NTJaZAsZrI714nlHAzPP-zBUZ8C0=w1387-h1040-no

Back