Servicing i3 REx

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spartacus68

I know this has been covered to various degrees, but would like specific advice please.

So my wife's i3 REx (2015) is on 28k miles is due a service. The car's engine did a fair bit of work coming up the road from Blackpool to Scotland last year when it was purchased. The engine has been used intermittently but usually is electric all the way since we fitted an electric charging point to the house.

The car was given a visual health check earlier this year before the 3 year warranty expired, so they sorted torn dust sleeves on the front shock absorbers (both sides) and replaced a fuel pressure switch.

Around the same time the car was given a brake fluid change. BMW charged £100 which I thought was okay, but it's a bit of a nonsense, when you actually think the fluid costs just £10.

So anyway, from what I can determine the service gets the air pollen filter changed, oil (2.5 litres), and oil filter. They say brake fluid too, so now it's done it should be good for 2 years. I've reviewed some online videos and it looks straight forward. I've serviced my own cars for years including my brother's X5 which is an absolute brut to work on. Only car I've had to use a small step ladder to access the air filter! :lol:

Because the car is now outside warranty, will I invalidate the battery warranty? I plan to purchase the OE parts from BMW and receipt them.

Only down side I can see is getting the service reminder cancelled or reset. I have VCDS for VAG cars to reset intervals, and I assume BMW do something similar. Would BMW reset it if I could prove it was done as part of software check? Judging by my main dealer's front reception, I reckon they are going to be funny buggers.

The service items can be reset yourself with the trip meter button. With the car in accessories mode ("OFF" should be displayed on the driver display), press and hold the little button on the side of the display until a "reset possible" message pops up. Short press to cycle through resettable service items, long press to reset that item.

The W20 engine manual was helpful for me in locating the oil filter and drain plug. REX oil change isn't very hard.

Servicing the REx should have no impact on the battery warranty.

The OEM brake fluid is moderately expensive, but most of it is labor to actually flush all of the old stuff out.

jadnashuanh said:
Servicing the REx should have no impact on the battery warranty.
The OEM brake fluid is moderately expensive, but most of it is labor to actually flush all of the old stuff out.

THanks for that. This was done earlier this year at the main dealer for £100 ($129) which I though was okay. This type of servicing as bite-size chunks, bit like air-conditioning re-charge is the way to avoid hefty one-off service bills.

TheMK said:
The service items can be reset yourself with the trip meter button. With the car in accessories mode ("OFF" should be displayed on the driver display), press and hold the little button on the side of the display until a "reset possible" message pops up. Short press to cycle through resettable service items, long press to reset that item.

The W20 engine manual was helpful for me in locating the oil filter and drain plug. REX oil change isn't very hard.

Thanks for that. My wife is oblivious to service reminders and error lights anyway! :lol:

She borrowed my daily driver (Škoda Fabia diesel) and said the oil light had come on. I knew it was unlikely to be oil pressure, so said add some oil. Turns out it was the engine management light for a goosed air temperature intake sensor. Ended up having to drain the oil, as she put the best part of a litre in!

Here is a link to the BMW service manual for the W20 Rex engine.

https://attachments.priuschat.com/attachment-files/2016/07/108943_12_W20-Engine.pdf

So picked up pollen filter, oil filter and sump plug (£64) at the weekend along with new 427 wheels and Bridgestone Blizzak winter tyres. I'll change the 428 Turbines next weekend when I service the car. I asked about oil (£22 a litre at BMW stealer), sorry but given I'd paid a fortune on wheels, i can pick up Castro Edge from Costco.

So parts representative (he looked like the elderly gentleman from Up) said it was 5w30, but when I checked Castrol's site using their registration finder, they say 0w-30. Any preference, and am I correct with 2.5 litre capacity. :?:

2.6 liters according to the BMW guide.
5w unless temp. frequently drops below -20 °C, then recommend the use of 0w instead of 5w products (service manual)

MKH said:
2.6 liters according to the BMW guide.
5w unless temp. frequently drops below -20 °C, then recommend the use of 0w instead of 5w products (service manual)

Thank you MKH, that's very helpful.

So today was meant to be straight forward. Swap the 428 turbine wheels and fit 427 alloys with winter tyres. F/N/S locking wheel bolt was fixed tight. The rest of the bolts cracked when realised. I used PlusGas and hammered the thread to shock it. Ended up shearing a Draper 1/2" extension bar as I thought I could get more leverage with a jack supporting it. Will need to go to a garage or get an impact driver on it. The locking wheel nut tool will need to be replaced. :evil:

The oil change was straight forward after disconnecting high voltage. Noticed that the bonnet area was collecting half the leaves in the street! Nice design. :eek:

I used Draper adjustable self grip pliers (large jaw) to release the oil filter. Great tool. Used them on shock absorbers before to adjust. Noticed there was a little corrosion on the oil filter housing face. Probably it's location, but will keep an eye on it. I tightened the new oil filter (after using a little oil on the 'o' ring to get a perfect seal. Fitted a new sump washer on the sump plug. Refilled with 2.6 litres, 5w-30 Castrol Edge.

Pollen filters. The engineers that dreamt this one up should be publicly flogged. On UK right hand drive vehicles, then the foot rest tread plate has to be removed, however the metal plate underneath is spot welded, so you need the dexterity of a goblin to access the pollen filters. I'd lifted the carpet on the passenger side until I realised my mistake.

Tried to reset the service light using the controls on the dash, but will look again as the service reminder is still there, even although it was meant to clear.

Thanks for the help, got the there in the end.

Any information on spark plug diy replacement? I can't find anything

Parts here: https://parts.bmwmonterey.com/a/BMW__i3-Rex/50945778__6214927/Ignition-coilspark-plug/12_1837.html#02

It doesn't specify interval time, but as i3 REx is a hybrid, I suspect it's only if it throws up an error or 100k miles, especially if it's not showing up in service guide. That's my guess :?:

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/i01-i3-rex-hat/repair-manuals/12-engine-electrical-system/12-12-ignition-lead-spark-plugs/1VnXfDV2u9

The Rex engine is the same one that BMW installs in their C650gt maxi-scooter

https://www.webbikeworld.com/bmw-c-650-gt-review/

The C650 GT maintenance schedule shows changing the sparkplugs when mileage on the engine reaches 40,000 km (24,000 miles).

https://www.webbikeworld.com/bmw-scooter-maintenance-schedule/

For the average user on the REx, the driven mileage has little to do with the actual miles on the REx engine...it's probably in the 10:1 ratio electric:REx assist, so that's well over 100K miles. Some people almost never run the REx. The computer will detect issues. IMHO, it isn't worth the time and effort to change them until there's an issue detected. ALso, when the REx does run, it's running at fairly constant speeds with a fairly fixed load which is ideal for life of components.

Back