Trunk Open Faulty Sensor?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfran2

My 2014 i3 REX with 46,000 miles often tells me it's trunk is open when it is most certainly closed. I'll go back and reclose it, and sometimes that will make the dash light go off and sometimes not. Now I seem to be having occasional issues with my interior lights staying on, and I suspect it's because the car thinks my trunk is open. Does anyone know where the trunk closed sensor is, and if it might be adjustable/replaceable? Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

If I had to guess, I'd guess it is part of the latch http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part?id=1Z63-USA-01-2017-I01-BMW_i-i3_94Ah&mg=41&sg=60&diagId=41_2323&q=51247248075

A check with the dealership's service department might clear that up. It could be that all it needs is a little adjustment of the stop so that it goes a little further in. It could also be that it goes in too far. I think there are some rubber stops that can be moved in/out by turning them a little. If you press on the hatch after it's closed, does it move? If so, it might need to go in a bit further. It may not take much, a millimeter might be enough.

My rear door is really sensitive about being fully closed. I don't have to slam them, but maybe a bit harder than I'd like. ON those, though, I think that it's because there's a latch on the top and bottom edge of those doors...not the case with the rear hatch. I think they use hall effect switches, which have a very narrow band of on/off rather than a mechanical switch. They're quite reliable, but there is some electronics required for them to work.

Thanks for the tip! I just adjusted those stops a little - I'll keep an eye on it and see if that helps.

I adjusted the rubber stops on my trunk, and was able to make the sensor happy for the last few months. This morning, however, I got the dreaded "trunk not closed" message again. I adjusted the stops in one turn increments from all the way in to all the way out, to no avail. Does anyone know where the trunk sensor is located, and how it works? I'd be happy to take it in to a dealer, but the closest one is 100 miles away!

I've had my 2020 i3 for 3 months and I've had this error pop up quite often. The boot is definitely closed. Opening and closing it firmly removes the error. But I don't think this should be necessary; this is a BMW and I expect refined clunking not loud slamming!

I'm going to get the local dealer to take a look as soon as they open up for business again. It would be interesting to know how other cases were resolved.

Back