New i3 owner from TX

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
theothertom said:
jadnashuanh said:
Electronic devices tend to fail during power on cycling. Note, though, that that exposes them to power line anomalies that can also cause damage long-term. This is one reason why a whole house surge suppressor is useful. Some products include inlet power conditioning circuits, but not all. IMHO, it doesn't hurt to try to protect everything, and local conditioning for things that are more expensive.
Jim,
I'm contemplating a whole house surge suppressor. is there one (or more than one) that you would recommend ?
Mersen is big in industrial stuff, but they do have some residential equipment, too. Put one in my mother's house after she lost the circuit board in her refrigerator and blew her microwave during a storm. https://www.mersen.com/products/electrical-protection-control/surge-protection-lightning-protection-and-power-monitoring
There are a bunch out there. Peak amps and speed of reaction are the important aspects to look at when comparing.

Hello new BMW i3 owner here. Looking forward to connecting with everyone. I didn't start a new thread because you were already discussing charging options here.

I just purchased the siemans versicharge. I had a NEMA 6-50 plug installed by an electrician at my house because that is what the specifications called for. THe plug he installed is a NEMA 6-50r and it appears the sieman has a NEMA 6-50p plug. Are these compatible? Any sggestions on where to putchase the correct outlet, if they are not?

Thanks in advance and be easy on me people, I am completely new to this.

D

I purchased the Clippercreek HCS-40PR (R=ruggedized) back when there was a tax rebate available. It was very easy to install and has functioned with no problems. I use the BMW app to monitor basic charging info. According to Clippercreek, the unit consumes "approximately 2 watts" in standby.
For surge protection, I installed this product in my two power panels (you can find it for a lower price on eBay). It is designed to fit Square D (Schneider) QO panels:
https://www.amazon.com/Square-Schneider-Electric-QO2175SB-SurgeBreaker/dp/B000CG80KY

ethanaidenies said:
Whats so special about the BMW I3?
Whats the difference between a normal car and a BMW I3? what cool features does it have etc?
Pretty suspicious post… This is your first post, and you posted in an inappropriate thread for your questions. I suspect that your future posts will eventually contain spam.

If you are really interested in a BMW i3, I suggest performing a simple Internet search that would yield many articles about the i3 which has been sold since 2013.

ethanaidenies said:
Whats so special about the BMW I3?
Whats the difference between a normal car and a BMW I3? what cool features does it have etc?

You mean its 2.4 Inline 3 Dual Turbo 350 HP engine doesn't impress you? Or that before the ICE kicks in, you get a cool 300 mile range? Are you living under a rock?

Back