theothertom

Re: New Owner from Denver!

Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:05 am

theothertom wrote:
i3Bev wrote: Thank you for welcoming me! I would definitely check out FB. I will check both JB and CC systems. Yeah I agree about the highest rated breaker. What system do you have at home if you have one setup?
I struggled between JB and CC but ultimately went with a CC refurb unit, HCS-50, which is a 40 amp charger (sorry, EVSE :) ). CC also has a convenient wrap around feature for the cord and a J1772 holder that holds it "sideways" which is somewhat out of the way. They sell the holder separately if you wanted that feature but decided on the JB.

i3Bev

Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:48 pm

Just an update. My friend referred me to someone who is getting rid of his BMW Wallbox Pure less than two years old for only 30% of the original cost. Will check it out first to see if that would work. Simple EVSE works for me even without wi-fi as long as it is level 2.

You guys have any reservation when it comes to that equipment?
2015 i3 BEV
- Giga World
- Parking Assist
- Tech+Driving Assist
- Style 430 20” OE Staggered Wheels
- Rial X10-I 19” Wheels (Winter Setup)

theothertom

Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:49 pm

i3Bev wrote:Just an update. My friend referred me to someone who is getting rid of his BMW Wallbox Pure less than two years old for only 30% of the original cost. Will check it out first to see if that would work. Simple EVSE works for me even without wi-fi as long as it is level 2.

A BMW branded EVSE doesn't mean anything to me. I'd be surprised if BMW actually made it. From what I can tell it's a 30 amp EVSE (maybe 32). Original cost is around $1270, so 30% would be around $380. I guess the question is what would a JB or CC 30 amp unit cost? And is a 30 amp charger what you really want, especially since there's a Tesla (larger battery) in your future ? Personally, I wouldn't go less than 40 amps and I would go higher if I could.

Edit:
I checked JB and CC website. Their 32 amp EVSE's are ~$480, or about $100 more than the used BMW wall pure. So, if you're satisfied with a 32 amp charger go with the BMW unit.
As one data point, I have a '17 i3 with the 33Kw battery(94 Ah). The charger on the car is limited to 7.2 KW (~32 amps at 240V). It takes about 5 hours to fully charge. A car with, say, a 60KW battery would take almost twice that time, all other things being equal. I don't know what the Tesla charger is limited to, but if it's 7.2KW, then the 32 amp BMW unit would be ok. If it's more than 7.2, you might consider sizing your EVSE to match the Tesla's limitation.

i3Bev

Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:20 am

theothertom wrote:
i3Bev wrote:Just an update. My friend referred me to someone who is getting rid of his BMW Wallbox Pure less than two years old for only 30% of the original cost. Will check it out first to see if that would work. Simple EVSE works for me even without wi-fi as long as it is level 2.

A BMW branded EVSE doesn't mean anything to me. I'd be surprised if BMW actually made it. From what I can tell it's a 30 amp EVSE (maybe 32). Original cost is around $1270, so 30% would be around $380. I guess the question is what would a JB or CC 30 amp unit cost? And is a 30 amp charger what you really want, especially since there's a Tesla (larger battery) in your future ? Personally, I wouldn't go less than 40 amps and I would go higher if I could.

Edit:
I checked JB and CC website. Their 32 amp EVSE's are ~$480, or about $100 more than the used BMW wall pure. So, if you're satisfied with a 32 amp charger go with the BMW unit.
As one data point, I have a '17 i3 with the 33Kw battery(94 Ah). The charger on the car is limited to 7.2 KW (~32 amps at 240V). It takes about 5 hours to fully charge. A car with, say, a 60KW battery would take almost twice that time, all other things being equal. I don't know what the Tesla charger is limited to, but if it's 7.2KW, then the 32 amp BMW unit would be ok. If it's more than 7.2, you might consider sizing your EVSE to match the Tesla's limitation.
I got it last night for $375. It is 32A. The owner says it charges his i3 for 4ish hours. The unit cosmetically is excellent and will be connecting this to my circuit this weekend. I checked JB and CC sites as well for the 32A units. It seems to be all 32a EVSE are pretty much alike in terms of charging, takes about 4-5 hours to charge our i3 which is perfectly fine for me. This works for my budget since expenses are left and right at the moment for the i3 :|- Downpayment, I got a new set of winter wheels and tires (19" X10-I on Bizzak cost me $1800 new), and I am getting EW within a year (my factory warranty is still good until January 2020) so yeah the BMW Wallbox seem perfect based on my needs. Tesla can do as much as maximum power rating of 22 kW or 32A but 400V AC three-phase power. I heard from my electrician they are doing 48A or already been in place?
2015 i3 BEV
- Giga World
- Parking Assist
- Tech+Driving Assist

theothertom

Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:26 am

According to this website https://www.pluglesspower.com/learn/tes ... onomously/ most Teslas can take 11.5 KW. At 240 volts, that's about 48 amps. My guess is you'd need to install a 60 amp breaker with associated wiring for 60 amps (to be safe) if you want to install an EVSE to utilize the max "intake" of a Tesla. From what I've read, your 32 amp charger will add about 20 miles of range per hour. So you could charge it up for 10 hours (overnight) and gain around 200 miles range. That's probably enough for most people.
I'd be interested to see your real world numbers when you get your Tesla.

TomMoloughney
Site Admin

Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:20 pm

i3Bev wrote:Thank you for welcoming me! I would definitely check out FB. I will check both JB and CC systems. Yeah I agree about the highest rated breaker. What system do you have at home if you have one setup?
Personally I prefer to use the JuiceBox Pro 40, and I test & write reviews for charging stations. Take a look at my recent charging station buyers guide for InsideEVs:

https://insideevs.com/home-ev-charging- ... ers-guide/

Tom Moloughney
MINI-E: (6/09 - 1/12)
BMW ActiveE: (1/12 - 5/14)
BMW i3 REx: (5/14- 6/17)
BMW i3s BEV (1/18- )

My i3 Blog:
http://bmwi3.blogspot.com

i3Bev

Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:07 pm

TomMoloughney wrote:
i3Bev wrote:Thank you for welcoming me! I would definitely check out FB. I will check both JB and CC systems. Yeah I agree about the highest rated breaker. What system do you have at home if you have one setup?
Personally I prefer to use the JuiceBox Pro 40, and I test & write reviews for charging stations. Take a look at my recent charging station buyers guide for InsideEVs:

https://insideevs.com/home-ev-charging- ... ers-guide/

Thank you! I settled with a BMW i EVSE and has been working flawlessly.

2015 i3 BEV
- Giga World
- Parking Assist
- Tech+Driving Assist

bwilson4web

Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:02 pm

You might consider getting a water hose, wall hanger. They are curved so there are no edges to wear through the cable.

Just a suggestion, if the water hose hanger is wide enough to equal the width of the EVSE, mounted above, the cable would drape nicely down both sides.

Bob Wilson
20k/27k mi 2014 BMW i3-REx
10k/10k mi 2017 Prius Prime

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”