Battery range when using AC in the desert (2017 i3 Rex, 94 Ah)

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CKE7

Hello, I'm looking for information on the range as driver-tested for 2017 BMW i3 Rex 33 KWh / 94 Ah while using AC in the desert. I live in Southern California where summer temps (i.e., about 3.5 months) are 100-115 degrees F (37-46 degrees C). I've looked through these forums, other reviews, and on youtube and haven't found the info I need. Youtube has some in depth evaluations by owners when using the heater and heated seats in very cold weather, but I haven't seen any for very hot weather. Anyone have experience with driving i3 in the desert? Thanks.

Air conditioning can certainly kill range, however the A/C uses less power than the cabin heater does. As the A/C may have to run anyways for battery cooling (which extends range), using it for cabin cooling won't use much more power. You can probably expect to loose 5mi range for heavy A/C usage.

One thing that can help is to get a good quality IR tint on the windows. My preference is 3M's Crystalline series https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Automotive-Window-Film-Crystalline-Series/?N=5002385+3292716668&rt=rud
Even the lightest tint does some amazing things. It's a bit trickier to install, but CA ought to have a bunch of qualified installers.

If you can precondition the cabin while still attached to an EVSE, that will help quite a bit. A/c is more efficient than heating. Your biggest hit will be if you do short trips and the cabin can get superheated in between each. Not as bad once it's already cooled down. I wouldn't opt for the all leather interior.

Back