New owner of 2015 BEV with a couple Qs

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i3Thousand

HI everybody,

I picked up a 2015 BeV off lease for a good price. I love it, but I have some questions I can’t find answers for online. Hopefully with time I’ll be able to answer questions for the next class of i3 owners.

1. iDrive is great, but when I hold the voice button to activate Siri, Siri’s voice is at a much lower volume than everything else - the radio, Bluetooth music, phone calls... are all equally loud and Siri is wayyyyy quieter. Is there an option that may be on/off/low?

2. I fully charged it at home today (I did not need to drive today) and I was able to unplug the charger from the car without unlocking the car. I thought I had to unlock the car first. Maybe the charger unlocks when it fully charges?

3. Is it safe to charge in the rain? Should the provided level 1 charger be put it a bag or something while in the frunk? Or is it waterproof?

4. What products do you all recommend to keep it clean? Specifically all the glass?

Thanks in advance. I honestly never thought I’d drive (afford) a BMW. I’m rally impressed with the ride and design. This is a 2nd car for my family and since I usually walk a few blocks to grab the commuter rail to Boston, I’m hoping this is a long term / short range auto.

1. While a certain operation is in progress, you can use the volume control to adjust what's going on. Different inputs are adjusted separately.
2. That changed in a software update years ago. Now, once the car is fully charged, the plug is unlocked. Personally, I'd prefer that to be a user option to protect your OUC from being lifted. IN a public charging location, it makes sense since someone else could then use the EVSE.
3. I wouldn't sit it in a pool of water, but it should be okay. As to personal safety, it has the equivalent of a GFCI built into it.
4. I use what's around. Others may have some good recommendations. The surfaces aren't special compared to other BMW models other than the kenniff panels.

Thanks for the answers from up north!

So say I’m at the mall. Is it an acceptable behavior to pull a public charger from a stranger’s charged car to plug in? It wouldn’t bother me, but I imagine a less understanding person losing their cool. Maybe I’ve lost some faith in my fellow american!

That could get messy...I'm not sure that there really is a generic protocol. But, some people were complaining about sharing an EVSE while at work and having to go down to remove their cord so someone else could use it.

On some CCS units, they're on a timer, and once they have counted down to zero, I don't think I'd have an issue, but personally, I don't, or haven't needed to charge other than at home, so don't get into that subject with others.

It might be a nice protocol to put a sticker with your cellphone number and ask people to call you for confirmation, one way or another.

Anyone else have some thoughts or experience on this?

Back