Rear-Fog Switch Retrofit (U.S. i3s)

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went looking for a switch but it seems that they are not readily available. Does anyone know where I can get the current Euro switch to work with my 2015?

I took the place holder cover off where the rear fog switch would be and noticed that the circuit board is there and the little buttons contacts. I could probably make this work if I had the white plastic button extension that pushes on the contacts. This seems to be the "free mod" to turning on these rear fogs in general.

Hi all.
I have installed the dipswitch control with the button of tail fog lights. I tried to code function of inclusion of tail fog lights by means of BimmerCode, but at me it has not turned out. Someone can prompt to me with coding.
Thanks

^ Success (sort of)!

Your photo shows the turn indicators illuminated in the rear bumper, not the rear-fog LEDs. My i3 does the same with the rear-fog switch activated, so I'm guessing we used similar codes.

Here's a BMW diagram of the left rear lights in an i3 exterior, along with their functions. The turn indicator is 5, while the rear fog is 7.

40098738663_c583af07fe_o.png

What we have is OK, but I would like to figure out how to activate just the rear fog (7) with the switch, as BMW intended. While 5 is bright, those LEDs appear to be part of a dynamic braking system, which activates additional rear lights with hard stops. I'm curious to what extent setting 5 as rear fogs affect activation of additional lighting under hard braking. Eventually, I’ll test the current set up with hard braking and report results. Again, there's probably a compelling reason why BMW created a discrete rear-fog LED (7) in the i3.

And for North American i3 drivers, see this well-illustrated, how-to guide for making the blank button active in a headlight switch similar to the i3's. If your X-acto knife and BimmerCode skills are robust, this seems like an inexpensive way to activate the rear-fog (minus the illuminated symbol).

https://www.normalexception.net/BMW-F36-DIY/f36-rear-foglight/

I tried the exacto method and while I can push the button in further now, it doesn't seem to have a return spring to release it so I have to pry it back out.

I expect that coding this can't be done with Bimmercode? E-sys?

PBNB said:
I expect that coding this can't be done with Bimmercode? E-sys?
Either software will work to activate the rear-fog settings, but in addition you'll need some kind of mechanical BMW light switch to turn the lights on/off.

PBNB said:
I tried the exacto method and while I can push the button in further now, it doesn't seem to have a return spring to release it so I have to pry it back out.
Your plight inspired me to take apart the light switch installed on my i3 at the factory, and it doesn't appear that the blank buttons will activate the rear-fog light.

32130744757_1a0b744e66_o.jpg

Webster, I see the same thing. The little contacts are on the circuit board but there is no plastic insert that sits inside the but cover.

In one of the how to's on the web, this mod was done with another BMW model and when the switch was taken apart, there was a white piece sitting in housing behind the black button cover.

If we could locate some of those plastic pieces, this mod would probably work with our switch.

I guess the other alternative is to get a switch from Europe with the fog light button.

Polot, I noticed the part number on your headlight switch is for an X5. Is that correct, and does it fit correctly. In the pictures, it looks like a good fit. Does your i3 have front fogs as well?

PBNB said:
Polot, I noticed the part number on your headlight switch is for an X5. Is that correct, and does it fit correctly. In the pictures, it looks like a good fit. Does your i3 have front fogs as well?
Everything is right, it is headlight switch is for an X5. It approaches and works. But, as have noticed above, after coding in tail light section 5, but not 7 lights up.
There are no head fog lights in my car therefore I have put the button from the old switch
upload pictures

I wondering if the plug going into the switch is wired differently between the I3 and the X5 causing the wrong light to light up? Or is it completely software related?

I have installed the i3’s Euroswitch with the illuminated rear-fog button — pressing it also lights up 5. No, lighting up 7 is a coding setting somewhere in the BDC_Body module.

The wires going into the switch carry a digital signal, they do not literally, directly 'switch' anything. What happens when that signal is received by the computer is where the magic happens. Same is true at the other end with the lights...while there's power going into the module, it doesn't directly cause the light(s) to turn on...there's circuitry there that makes it happen.

I haven't taken the i3's panel apart, but have on my GT, which uses similar logic. In the rear panel, there are running, reversing, turning, braking, and fog lights along with license plate lights. TO control each like in the old days would require heavy(ier) wires, and 4-5 wires on each side. There's less than that, and most of them are smaller gauge. So, there's essentially one power lead, one ground lead, and signal wires that tell the panel which light(s) to turn on.

I think the only exception may be the brake lights which can work without the computer logic.

websterize said:
I have installed the i3’s Euroswitch with the illuminated rear-fog button — pressing it also lights up 5. No, lighting up 7 is a coding setting somewhere in the BDC_Body module.

Websterize, do you have a part number and a parts supplier for the euroswitch? I can't seem to find anything online.

I think it's either going to be #3 or 4 on this diagram http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=1Z81-EUR-08-2016-I01-BMW_i-i3_94Ah_Rex&diagId=61_3141

If you can wait two months, this one might work, even with the superfluous (in the i3) front-fog switch:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-european-bmw-parts/european-headlight-switch/61319265303~oeb/

It looks as if the rear-fog Euro switch that is still being manufactured, and plays nice with LED headlights and the rain sensor, is part 61319865812. I would contact ECS Tuning about sourcing one. Maybe they'll ship it to you by Christmas.

Back